Sign in to follow this  
psimon

Car Stalling - E39 540i

Over the last couple of months I have noticed a problem with my 540i. What happens is when I start the car, usually when it is already warm occasionally when I put it into reverse the car will just stall and sometimes when the car starts and I do not rev it it also happens. It only occurs from time to time and I just start the car again and rev it a bit and it will usually be fine. However last week I was driving along not really accelerating at all and the car just stalled while rolling in a straight line at about 50kms.

The car had a major service about 3000kms ago, however I was thinking it could be a fuel pump/filter problem??

Does anyone have any ideas?

Edited by psimon

Over the last couple of months I have noticed a problem with my 540i. What happens is when I start the car, usually when it is already warm occasionally when I put it into reverse the car will just stall and sometimes when the car starts and I do not rev it it also happens. It only occurs from time to time and I just start the car again and rev it a bit and it will usually be fine. However last week I was driving along not really accelerating at all and the car just stalled while rolling in a straight line at about 50kms.

The car had a major service about 3000kms ago, however I was thinking it could be a fuel pump/filter problem??

Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm no expert but I had the same problem recently - putting the car into reverse would stall it 60% of the time and also just waiting at the lights the lights would cause the idle to fluctuate resulting in a stall (embarrassing!).

I fixed the problem by taking out the ICV and giving it a really good clean, as well as cleaning out the hoses and connections to it. My stalling problem is gone and the car runs great now...

Not likely ICV valve will cause problem above idle. Save guessing & get it plugged up to a scanner to check for fault codes. Any decent auto sparky or mechanic should have one