Sign in to follow this  
perf

e36 318is msport overheating

ok

we have a e36 318is msport. its a 96 model and has the plastic thermostat housing, if that helps.

This is our daily driver so would like to try suss it out sooner than later.

Originally I thought the thermostat was at fault, as sometimes the car would get up to temperature and keep climbing with no signs of stopping. We usually parked the car up as it got to the line before 'too hot' but we have not driven it with the overheat light on. We tryed to get a thermostat through ripco, but they dicked us around and now we are looking elsewhere. In the meantime I have taken the tstat out completely and we drove like this the other night with success.

UNTILL we pulled up to a stop at our gate, at which point the temp started slowly climbing again. We had done motorway speeds, twisty backroad speeds, suburban 50k areas and stopped for fish n chips before getting home, so a variety of driving did not cause it to overheat - just when we came to a stop at the gate.

I have done the following to test:

- water flows through radiator fine

- no bubbles in the coolant, not burning white smoke so i dont think its a headgasket or crack anywhere

- belt on waterpump is nice and tight, no rips or cracks and is not slipping

- pretty sure waterpump is working because it will draw in water through the overflow tank with no trouble

the only thing i can think of, is the previous owner ditched the plastic shroud for the fan and radiator for some reason,

and this is causing a lack of air-flow through the radiator at a stop, but I cant see how this would be differant with/without

a thermostat.

any help appreciated, is it worth replacing the waterpump and belt? other than this temp issue the car runs fine and

is not down on power (anymore than a 318 already is, dohohohoho).

cheers

does it have a viscous fan ? could be that this isn't spinning while the car is idling?? check a fan is spinning when the car is stationary..

ok

we have a e36 318is msport. its a 96 model and has the plastic thermostat housing, if that helps.

This is our daily driver so would like to try suss it out sooner than later.

Originally I thought the thermostat was at fault, as sometimes the car would get up to temperature and keep climbing with no signs of stopping. We usually parked the car up as it got to the line before 'too hot' but we have not driven it with the overheat light on. We tryed to get a thermostat through ripco, but they dicked us around and now we are looking elsewhere. In the meantime I have taken the tstat out completely and we drove like this the other night with success.

UNTILL we pulled up to a stop at our gate, at which point the temp started slowly climbing again. We had done motorway speeds, twisty backroad speeds, suburban 50k areas and stopped for fish n chips before getting home, so a variety of driving did not cause it to overheat - just when we came to a stop at the gate.

I have done the following to test:

- water flows through radiator fine

- no bubbles in the coolant, not burning white smoke so i dont think its a headgasket or crack anywhere

- belt on waterpump is nice and tight, no rips or cracks and is not slipping

- pretty sure waterpump is working because it will draw in water through the overflow tank with no trouble

the only thing i can think of, is the previous owner ditched the plastic shroud for the fan and radiator for some reason,

and this is causing a lack of air-flow through the radiator at a stop, but I cant see how this would be differant with/without

a thermostat.

any help appreciated, is it worth replacing the waterpump and belt? other than this temp issue the car runs fine and

is not down on power (anymore than a 318 already is, dohohohoho).

cheers

Have a look at the water pump. If the impellor is plastic and has cracked, it will sometimes still pump under low pressure/low temp conditions, them as system pressure & temp build, the impellor loses grip on the shaft and pumps little or zero.

Have a look at the water pump. If the impellor is plastic and has cracked, it will sometimes still pump under low pressure/low temp conditions, them as system pressure & temp build, the impellor loses grip on the shaft and pumps little or zero.

thanks, BnT have a pump for $97 so ill check which one we need (they come in 8mm bolt holes and 10mm bolt holes apparantly) and try get one tomorrow!

thanks, BnT have a pump for $97 so ill check which one we need (they come in 8mm bolt holes and 10mm bolt holes apparantly) and try get one tomorrow!

Thats a load of bollocks. There is only one water pump for your 318is regardless of whether it is an M42 or M44. Make sure the pump you buy has a METAL impellor. I have these in stock if you havent sorted one yet.