Sign in to follow this  
Guest Zwilling

ABS???

Do you prefer ABS over standard???  

1 member has voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Zwilling

Topic of the moment: which do you prefer, do you use it, is it worth it...

Hey, why can't we get some little friendly guys in the poles?

Edited by Zwilling

Even though I don't have ABS, and don't really mind not having it.

In an absolute emergency I think that I would still prefer it, anything that can help prevent a potential accident...or limit the effects of one has to be good in my book.

However in saying that, having everyone learn how to pulse brake in an emergency, and also what to do in an evasive situation is probably better than having people rely solely on the fact that they have ABS.

Safety features are all well and good, but they are no way a substitute for good driving.

Cheers

Guest Zwilling

Safety features are all well and good, but they are no way a substitute for good driving.

That's the crux of it.

good for emergencies...maybe not so good for track...but how often do you track?

Not good for track?

All ABS does is limit the slippage of the wheels so you can still steer. As in, it only activates when it feels a loss of traction in the wheels, at which point it rapidly pulses the brakes to maximise braking while retaining traction and preventing lock up, and ensuring you can steer in a direction.

Like the other day i was in the city bit of the motorway with a the twistie bit of the motorway and i was crusing along at 100 and this dude pulled out infront of me. I slammed on the brakes, the ABS was going (you can feel the pedal give feedback) and i was able to continue driving in the same direction, as opposed to f**king up my car and going somewhere other than my lane.

ABS is always an asset, i dont actually think there is ever a reason not to want it...

It will always stop you faster - ive seen it.

And its handy in the wet too, like on this downhill part where the road gets slippery in the rain i can feel it go sometimes.. (sure i should drive slower, but yes, good example of abs.. haha)

It will always stop you faster - ive seen it.

That is not true.

A person experienced with 'manual' pulse braking will outbrake ABS.

I have seen this shown in the flesh in a real trial.

The newest versions of ABS are so non-obtrusive that most (even experienced) drivers do not even know it is there. A good example of this is the newest Lotus Elise. Even when driven on the track, an experienced racing test driver didn't think it had kicked in at all, but in actual fact the ABS system had kicked in on a number of occassions.

Guest Spargo

Got it, love it. Anything thats going to save my life in a crash is fine by me.

The only place you don't want it is on gravel / snow / other loose surfaces, where you want the wheels to lock up, building up a little mound infront of the wheels so you stop faster.

If your so bothered by ABS on track (which we all do, often) why don't you disable it by taking out the relay or somesuch?

Grant, it may be that in an E30 (where abs isn't that great, due to massive length of extra brake lines) that a drive could outbrake a car with ABS, but i dout in any modern car this would be the case, unless the drivers name was Schumacher...

I've been on several driving courses, and speaking from experience, i prefer having abs as a backup. I know how to pulse brake and all that, but the average driver in an emergency situation is going to panic, stand on the brake, and keep their foot down. Problem is that they will stare at what they're about to hit, meaning they will unconciously veer toward the very object they're trying to avoid.

Guest Spargo

The newest versions of ABS are so non-obtrusive that most (even experienced) drivers do not even know it is there. A good example of this is the newest Lotus Elise. Even when driven on the track, an experienced racing test driver didn't think it had kicked in at all, but in actual fact the ABS system had kicked in on a number of occassions.

Exactly the reason that it's a bloody good thing for us mere mortals.

That driver said that after lapping the nordschleife.

i agree with grant...having seen an e46 brake faster without using the abs than with using it at taupo driver training (if you had gone you would have seen it too!) this is because using abs the wheels still lock up....even momentarily. abs is better....but can be outbrakesd....not all the time in all situations...but can be

Grant, it may be that in an E30 (where abs isn't that great, due to massive length of extra brake lines) that a drive could outbrake a car with ABS, but i dout in any modern car this would be the case, unless the drivers name was Schumacher...

Sam, as Gus said, it was in a near new E46.

Guest Spargo

Well. i couldn't manage it in an E36 M3 Evo, although this was damp.

Guest Andrew

Sam, as Gus said, it was in a near new E46.

The car was actually an e36 318iT - there was no e46 demonstation?

twas a e46 touring

I am pretty sure it was an E46 too

But I could well be wrong :D

Whatever it was, it was a modern car...more modern that an E30 anyway.

im quite sure it was an e36. that white one a? im sure it was en e36 - i was wanting to tax the spotlights!! :ph34r: :jap:

I stand corrected.

The more I think about it, the more I think it was an E36 too.

Cheers

Guest Andrew

im quite sure it was an e36. that white one a? im sure it was en e36 - i was wanting to tax the spotlights!! :ph34r: :jap:

damn straight - a white wagon with the number plate HIMMEL and M3 front bumper and skirts.

do i have ABS? does it mean u have it if u have the light on ur dash that has the ! with the dashed line around it???

how do u know if u have it or not?

how do u know if u have it or not?

cruise along the road and jam your brakes on - if you lock up you obviously have no abs - if not then you either have sh*t brakes or you have abs... im sure theres a better way, but this way seems most fun! :D :mosh: