Sign in to follow this  
misgvous_1

HELP!!

Hi all

Got the e30 318i out tonight to get ready for my brother to drive. It has been sitting in my garage for bout 2-3 months now so the battery was well dead.

Gave it a jump start but as i accelerated the car died. Does this just mean i need to replace the battery? Or is the problem a bit bigger?

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers

Jamie

Start by charging the battery properly. It sounds like it is dead flat (not good for the life of a battery).

You have two options, get a battery charger and hook it up in the garage for 24hrs, or jump it again, but rev the tits off the car you are using to start it for about 5 minutes. Do this outside in fresh air. And then take it for an hours drive (this option not as good as the first) but will let you know whether you need to replace the battery.

Finally, don't leave your car for 3 months without driving it somewhere. A car battery is a crap battery (in battery technology), they will self-discharge in 3-6 months from full charge. If your car has an alarm, it will happen faster.

Cain

andrew found the same with my car, i think the alternator died for some reason being stored

Either fully charge the battery with a decent charger (not one of those trickle/maintenance chargers) or replace it.