Sign in to follow this  
Guest Simon*

E34 heater/blower gremlin

Guest 540Si

Funny little thing - developed the other night. Shut down the car and was hopping out when I noticed that the fan was still blowing through the vents. The lights for fan mode and the A/C etc all stayed on too.

So I've popped the fuse out now and am running heaterless. Anyone heard of this one, or have any ideas?

It's an E34 by the way with dual aircon and the sideways scrolling temp wheels etc.

Cheers

Si

Guest 540Si

It seems to me (after a little research) that this heater with a mind of its own is more likely to be a relay rather than the usual E34 resistor issue.

Can anyone shed any light?

It seems to me (after a little research) that this heater with a mind of its own is more likely to be a relay rather than the usual E34 resistor issue.

Can anyone shed any light?

I do recal having a similar problem, I think it was a matter of flicking all the switches on and off a couple of times and it sorted it's self out. That worked for me anyway. Probably not a works in every case solution. :)

I think Simon there are a couple of relays called "unloader relays" that tell everything to stop...

Guest 540Si

Good place to start if you have not already been there.

e34net

Don't worry I'm a frequent lurker there!

I think although they harp on about the dangers of the E34 heater system (and I can make very little sense of what they're on about) it doesn't cover my scenario unfortunately.

Guest 540Si

I think Simon there are a couple of relays called "unloader relays" that tell everything to stop...

Ah ok Paul, that's sounding more promising.

After having another look tonight it seems that although I've pulled the fuse for the blower that hasn't isolated the problem. Rear window demister stills works (with car off and keys removed) as well as the A/C and misc heater buttons. Seems like the majority of the centre console below the stereo is affected.

So I guess it's a matter of testing the appropriate relays

A faulty resistor can also cause this problem. You could try unplugging it and see if it stops the problem.

Guest 540Si

A faulty resistor can also cause this problem. You could try unplugging it and see if it stops the problem.

Yeah this was my first thought when it happened so will definitely be checking it along the way

Cheers