Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

Im in the wrong business

Bravo: Mines 350%, and I'm at work experience for a holiday job lol. Lucky I don't need a boundary redefinition a. But a good time to be a surveyor.

Wouldn't the emission laws help car dealers, as it targets old cars, and especially cars already in the country. So people will be forced to buy a new car. So they go to the car dealer. Who has imported a car that complies with the new laws.

Wouldn't that also stop many "cheaper" working vechiles not allowed into the country? Therefore eventually forcing product and service prices up, and therefore cost of living as well as all the other pressures?

Bravo: Mines 350%, and I'm at work experience for a holiday job lol. Lucky I don't need a boundary redefinition a. But a good time to be a surveyor.

Wouldn't the emission laws help car dealers, as it targets old cars, and especially cars already in the country. So people will be forced to buy a new car. So they go to the car dealer. Who has imported a car that complies with the new laws.

you are back to front.No new cars will be allowed into this country(including used cars) unless they comply with the emmissions laws of the country they come from.So theoretically if you want to buy a new or newer car it will be a "clean" one, and a more expensive one.

So theoretically if you want to buy a new or newer car it will be a "clean" one, and a more expensive one.

Slightly off-topic, but this is the media/car dealer lead horseshit.

With the exception of cars that are being imported under the 20 year rule, modifed cars, SUVs and heavy transport, the source countries from where the cars are being imported all have some form of emission control, which is the standard Land Transport are adopting...either the Japanese Standard or the Euro standard.

Generally for the economical life of a car, the vehicles emission control shouldnt need to be touched (perhaps replace a cat)

So assuming that we are importing used cars, that are built to the correct emission control standard in the first place, and the car is in good mechanical condition (ie the car isnt a POS), then thats what we are already importing (in theory). So with the exception that the emission standard will raise the year minimum for used Japanese cars from mid '95 to '98, which I suspect the majority of imports now fit into anyway, how is this going to raise the cost of the cars we import substantially?

However what the emission control laws will do is get rid of the ability to import POS SUVs and Heavy/Light Transport Vehicles. The majority of vehicle related emission problems come from vehicles that are in daily use doing big mileages with big engines....Heavy/Light Transport, (and company use cars). The used Trucks (and Buses) are likely to increase in cost because the cheap (no longer able to be sold on the Japanese Domestic Market because they dont have emission control) vehicles, are no longer going to be imported.

They said that the frontal impact regulations would stop the average kiwi buying fresh imports, I dont see that Enterprise Cars has closed up and gone out of business.... so I dont see that the introduction of emission control regs will be any different.

At last the voice of reason.....well said Daryll, Ive been thinking this all along but didnt really know how to put it into words.

They said that the frontal impact regulations would stop the average kiwi buying fresh imports, I dont see that Enterprise Cars has closed up and gone out of business.... so I dont see that the introduction of emission control regs will be any different.

I see car yards go under all the time. Never due to one factor, but this is only going to make it harder. I'm just saying that a starting up company will find it harder to cover costs of increased vechile prices, along with ALL other increases in price for other things (such as oil & taxes). We, the public, will then notice an increase in ALL goods and services provided, again, not just due to this regulation, but others also...

I dont have much mercy for the secondhand car dealers,probably cause i've bought afew cars dressed as lambs only to turn out to be old chewed out mutton.

We all need to earn a living but fleasing a large amount of people?!?

I do wonder if the these guys sleep straight at night.

Not saying i havent sold the odd dog car,but the price reflected it.

^^haha sorry kiddo.

Hot looking car though.

eww with the rings around the headlights...dont mind the coloured kits and mags but chrome rings around the lights are just kitch! :P

Lol nope, i do the accounts...

On that BMW X5; The seller must have need to sell quickly, so he got what he wanted. A dealer stumped up his cash - bought the car - replaced the tyres (I imagine those 21" low profile tyre's were not cheap). The asking price was probably not the selling price - it hardly ever is unless you want to buy a damn Honda (they will not budge). So add $1500 for cleaning it up, new tyres. Knock $3000 off for a hard negotiater. Helen will then want her cut of the profit, lets assume 33% of so, another $3000 gone - so maybe all up he made $7000, not $14000.

However my own recent expereince is this; My 740 was on a lot for $24,995 (with reduced from $26,995 on the window sticker). They were up front about it being a sale on behalf - but apparently as the seller needed a good price so much they couldn't drop the price any further - apprently they were making virtually nothing as it was. The hillarious thing was it was advertised on trademe by the dealer, and the owner, and I was looking at both adds thinking their were two similar cars for sale. Image my surprise to find it was the same car. I got it privately for $18,000. The dealer wanted to make $6995 - $8995 on a sale on behalf for parking it on their yard.

My SLK - sold for $38,000 by WCD - bought by me privately 3000km later - $25,000.