Sign in to follow this  
Richardbenz

7351 Alternator

Hi

My 1989 735i battery is not quite holding its charge and I believe it is the alternator. Does anyone out there have one lying about somewhere or can suggest what is the best thing to do in getting this issue worked out. Thanx

Edited by RichBMW

My 1989 735i battery is not quite holding its charge and I believe it is the alternator.

If a battery cannot hold a charge, then the battery is faulty

The alternator charges the battery, but has nothing to do with the battery HOLDING its charge.

The ability to hold a charge is a function of the battery, and only the battery.

If you think the battery is not being charged fully, then you can suspect the alternator and/or battery

But for a battery not HOLDING a charge, it can only be a faulty battery

a good clue if something is amiss is the battery warning light in the dash.if that is glowing then yes the alternator has issues.i've got one around somewhere if needed

Hi

My 1989 735i battery is not quite holding its charge and I believe it is the alternator. Does anyone out there have one lying about somewhere or can suggest what is the best thing to do in getting this issue worked out. Thanx

Thank you for that, will need to look for a battery in that case. Regards

If a battery cannot hold a charge, then the battery is faulty

The alternator charges the battery, but has nothing to do with the battery HOLDING its charge.

The ability to hold a charge is a function of the battery, and only the battery.

If you think the battery is not being charged fully, then you can suspect the alternator and/or battery

But for a battery not HOLDING a charge, it can only be a faulty battery

Hi again, te mechanic tested the battery with his tester under load and it read about 13.45, he said that it should read at least 14, does that indicate a battery that needs replacement, he had charged it overnight previous.

I'm with Topcat on this one. Get the alternator checked out too.

I've just been through this myself, went out and bought a new battery only to find out the alternator brushes needed replacing.

The brushes are dead easy to replace (on a Bosch alternator at least) and about a quarter the price of a new battery.

Good luck