Sign in to follow this  
NZPED

E30 Water/ Radiator Leak

My 318 has been losing a bit of water for the past couple weeks, 200ml every 3 days. I got under the car today and traced it back to what i think may be the water pump seal. Is replacing the pump the best way to go? Looked up new water pumps for $129, any help would be appreciated, cheers

My 318 has been losing a bit of water for the past couple weeks, 200ml every 3 days. I got under the car today and traced it back to what i think may be the water pump seal. Is replacing the pump the best way to go? Looked up new water pumps for $129, any help would be appreciated, cheers

Yeh dont think you can replace just the seals in the pump jst replace the whole thing and if its a cambelt driven engine you might as well do that and camseals tensioners etc while its apart unless its been done recently . i have only ever done a pump on a chain drive so cant tell you how easy or hard yours would be to do .. just you will need a special spanner to get the fan off the pully or grind down a old spanner wish i knew that before i attempted mine lol who gave you the price $129?

$129 sound dear. The last pump I bought for a M40 from a BMW dealer was under $100. You will need a 32mm spanner to get the fan off (left hand thread)

Removing the water pump in a M40 doesn't upset the belt tension as it does in a M20, so I would leave it well alone unless it's time to replace it anyway.

See Euro Itailan on the shore for pumps.