Sign in to follow this  
QuickSilver

Rounded bolts - exhaust down pipe.

Hey all, I just have a couple questions, firstly, on the exhaust down pipe flange (the one closest to manifold) The 3 bolts are getting dangerously close to being rounded and was wondering if there is a trick any of you guys know in getting round bolts off, bearing in mind their in a reasonably tricky spot,

Secondly, what is the exhaust made of, ie what metal?

Thirdly, what type of bolts should I buy? Made out of the same metal? Sorry for dumb questions yet again.

Cheers.

Exhaust manifold = Cast Iron

try and carefully undo the bolts wit the correct socket, if you round them bash on a size smaller socket and then unbolt them.

If the Studs snap then you basically need to remove the exhaust manifold so an engineering place can remove the broken bits and fit a new stud for you.

For the bolts get them from an exhaust shop as they will sell you the correct self locking type. they only cost maybe 50c each.

this is at least the experience i had.

Hopefully it all goes well.

manual impact driver, the tap it on the head with hammer version. Will move it slowly with any luck not stripping it.

Edited by bmw3

My impact driver fits right onto a 3/4 socket drive, if you combine that with a long extension and the wobble twisty joiner thingy and hold it all really tightly this will do the job much the same as using a power bar and a long extension will.

Good luck with this, i always seem to have bad luck with downpipe bolts and have been through this recently as you might have guessed.

ok, will have try in a dar or so, yeah im having trouble with this downpipe too, and I always find it a bitch to get to lol ah well, thanks for the info!

Yes definitely single hex socket.

Best to heat nut itself to nearing red hot (but not the stud) & they will come easily. I try cold first & if too tight - use heat -done heaps this way & never had a problem