Sign in to follow this  
deane30

door seal?

Hi Everyone

I have water leaking into the left rear footwell of my e30 (4 door) when it rains.

There is a photo attached and you can see there is a small trail of water leading from the bottom of the plastic piece that the front seat belts come out of, into a small puddle.

I think it may be coming through the rubber door seal. Has anyone else had this problem?

I did get someone to pour water on the door while I was inside the car to see if i could spot where it was cominf through and I peeled back the door card a little but i could not tell for sure.

Thanks,

Dean

Posted Image

ah! I knew this photo would come in handy, rear footwell, you say?? I had the EXACT same problem as you, and could not find the problem, took off the plastic thing behind the rear door, and voila, have a look. Had it cut out and welded up and filled and sprayed with basecoat for $99.

post-1848-1198729329_thumb.jpg

edit: the water enterd and followed the exact same stream as your photo , the previous owner had drilled a hole in the floor to deal with the problem lol! All sorted now and is as dry as a bone.. well as dry as an e30 can be, in saying all this, it may not be your problem at all, it may something different, perished seals perhaps? mine also had a minor leak at the top around the trimming, (black silicon fixed this)

Edited by QuickSilver

Just checked behind that mold and there was no rust hole. i took out evey clip apart from the bottom one because I couldn't work out how??? Thanks heaps for teh suggestion though. If you let me know how to unclip the bottom part i'll try again to double check there isn't a tiny hole at the bottom

From the results of my attempted water test, I think the water may be coming in where the top of the front and rear doors meet and then running down behind that panel and entering.

Where abouts was the trim that you had to use the silicon on?? (minor leak at the top around the trimming, (black silicon fixed this))

Thanks

Edited by deane30

mine was at the top of the door, where the rear quarter part of the window is, there is a divider between the two, at the top of that water was somehow making its way in through there, sorry I dont have a photo, but get someone else with a hose to hose the car and you sit inside, thats what I did, I cant remember about the bottom clip as the rust hole had taken care of the clip actually being there lol,

good luck hope you find it!