Sign in to follow this  
c.robertson00

M20 Rebuild Help!!!!!

I have just rebuilt my e30 M20 engine and went to start it for the first time today. I left the spark plugs out and turned it over to pump the oil through the engine and I got no oil pressure at all. What would cause this? I can only think of a blockage in the oilways or the oil pickup or pump is faulty. I just want to make sure its not something obvious before i go pulling the engine out...

You may need to prime the pump and or the oil filter, I'm not to familiar with this engine, but if you havn't filled the oil pump at assembly,it may not pick up any oil. If you can get the sump off and get some assembly lube or oil into the pump that may do it. Others may have a better knowledge of these engines than me.

Cheers Gerry

I have just rebuilt my e30 M20 engine and went to start it for the first time today. I left the spark plugs out and turned it over to pump the oil through the engine and I got no oil pressure at all. What would cause this? I can only think of a blockage in the oilways or the oil pickup or pump is faulty. I just want to make sure its not something obvious before i go pulling the engine out...

Also it can take a while to pump the oil thru all of the galleries\moving parts etc

Just another thought, YOU DID PUT THE OIL IN THE SUMP, lol, but you wouldn't be the first.

I was able to prime a pump on a Fiat once by removing the oil filter housing and squirting oil down the hole in the block.

Cheers Gerry

yea i gave it a good go on the starter motor. And yea i put oil in it lol

Edited by chris00

i just rebuilt a m20b25 a few months ago. i stripped and built it about 6 times to ensure i had it all right. the first time i missed out the oil pump drive. its a little shaft that goes from the auxilary drive (where a mechanincal dissy goes) to the pump. about the size of a pencil. did you put that in?

also do you know if the oil pump was working before the rebuild???

Yea i put the oil pump drive shaft back in. the engine was running when i pulled it down and i checked all the pump out. I think there is a block in the oil ways because the filter has filled up with oil but the rest of the engine is getting nothing. Ive started to pull the engine out today anyway

Yea i put the oil pump drive shaft back in. the engine was running when i pulled it down and i checked all the pump out. I think there is a block in the oil ways because the filter has filled up with oil but the rest of the engine is getting nothing. Ive started to pull the engine out today anyway

Sorry for reviving old thread...

but how did that ended up ?

what was the problem ? Soon I'll be starting my rebuild m20... I didnt know that oil system needs to be primed...