Sign in to follow this  
bimmer boy

X5 4.4

My dad is looking for a new car this year, and on his list which he has narrowed down to two types of cars

- '05+ Jeep Grand Cherokee V8

- X5 4.4

So I have been trying to find him a X5 over the Jeep just because.

Has to be V8 and in a dark colour.

Preferbly, Black, Dark Blue, Dark Green etc

Obviously it being NZ new and all that carry on is preferble over a import, my dad is old school and into that.

The budget he will spend on a X5 he says is around 30 - 40k (but said he'd spend more on a Jeep just because he's biasd toward them) , a bit of a strech to find a V8 one I know which is what I told him but I know there are some around at those prices.

I dont know if anyone on here has a X5 but if anyone hears of one comming up for sale, drop me a PM or leave a message under this.

Cheers

get him to drive one....he will surely then choose an X5 over a jeep.Dont discount the 3.0 petrol or even a deisel,see if you can get him to try one of those too.the 3.0 petrol are at least 170 kw(no wait thats the deisel!)The 3.0 six is one of the best engines BMW have made..

RJS, it will be very hard to find a NZ new 4.4 for under $40k.

I've been looking to upgrade the 540 for a facelift (2004+) model but these start in the high $50's for an import. A NZ new model has that bit of a premium. My business partner has a late 2003 NZ 4.4 in Sportpac trim with 70,000ks and it was recently valued at $60k.

As kiwi535 says the 3.0 petrol or 3.0d are great vehicles and probably more in the price range that you are looking at but if you a prepared to stretch another $10k you may find a 4.4

The ML500 or a ** cough, cough ** Range Rover could be worth looking at as well although the build quality of the early M series Mercs are its downfall.

Yeah I tried to tell him that a 4.4 X5 thats NZ new would be near impossible to find at that price. Ive driven many a X5 in every form they come in and yes even a manual version!

I like the 3.0 petrol but its never as nice as the v8 version.

My dad is always been loyal to american cars and the odd porsche i know if he went and drove a X5 it would change his mind and I think he knows it also.

However it might not be the easiest thing to find but its not impossible. I'll soldier on haha

Thanks for the help guys

A quick trawl through TM flushes out these:

NZ New, diesel, 01, higher miles

NZ New, 01, diesel again

NZ new, 4.4

NZ New, another diesel

For an X5, your dad should be spending more and not less. It's a much more superior vehicle to Jeeps (don't know about X5 off road capabilities though).

Note that the 3.0l petrol is as thirsty as the 4.4l while not as satisfying. In 4.4l you'll get TV as standard equipment.

Yea I know, I think once he drives on he will be more willing to spend more money, I know I would.

I know he wouldnt touch a diesel though, even though performance wise they are quite good but yeah he belives in the idea of if your going to get a car you might aswell get the best of its kind.

I'll get him to look at the links you gave me, I think hes test driving a 4.4 on Wednesday through someone he knows so will have to see how it goes.

Cheers

Isn't the diesel often considered "the best of the kind" in each BMW range these days, bar M models? Or has fuel economy just become so important that we automatically rate it ahead of V8 petrol power in logical terms?

Hired an ML500 when I was in Brisbane last year - Hated it, was dodgy round corners and just didn't feel safe in general.

In terms of ecconomy, yes it would be the better choice and BMW make some damn good diesel engines I must say yet theres always to nice roar of a V8 thats all too tempting

Hired an ML500 when I was in Brisbane last year - Hated it, was dodgy round corners and just didn't feel safe in general.

I know what you mean, thats why they arnt on the list of possibilities haha, they feel skittish around corners and the accelerator feels strange, you have to put your foot down and wait a few seconds until the car realises you want to move forward

Would he consider a Volvo XC90? I found them pleasant to drive if not as sporty as an X5. But certainly a league or two above one of those awful American Jeep things!

I spent several months last year trying to find a 4.4 X5 for under 40k and it was nigh on impossible. With the exchange rate going the wrong way for us the prices are only going to go up and even though the odd X5 sat for a while it eventually sold for what the seller wanted.

There is a 4.4 in Wellington at a dealers thats been there for some time thats now under 40k but its missing several bits of trim, the drivers mirror doesnt work and has other bits missing from the boot so its not in the best condition.

With the exchange rate going the wrong way for us the prices are only going to go up and even though the odd X5 sat for a while it eventually sold for what the seller wanted.

Isn't the exchange rate going the right way?

An appreciating NZ dollar means foreign currency is relatively cheaper

I beleive used imports are usually bought USD/YEN

True, that would make sense then.

deisels very torquey so day to day are very very good...but they lack that punch you get from giving(say an m30 or M60 a bloody good rev out...)prolly not what you would do in an x5 nyway.Big displacement petrols are very toruquey too though but you pay to play....