Sign in to follow this  
Yuen

RHD to LHD conversion

Yes, you read right. RHD to LHD!

A friend is considering shipping his 2003 BMW E46 325i Coupe to Korea if he can convert it to LHD. Does anyone know how much a RHD to LHD conversion costs in NZ?

Are they not allowed to be RHD there?just out of interest.

It would be simpler to buy a LHD in Japan, bring to NZ then on ship to Korea. There are quite a few LHD that show up in the auctions and getting to NZ is only $1500 transport fee ontop of purchase price.

I have just completed a lhd-rhd conversion of an e36 (done by me personally). If the complexity of that is anything to go by, I wouldn't attempt to have it done as it is probably going to cost the earth, the main cost coming from having to relocate virtually every computer under the dash to the opposite side.

I would NEVER undertake another e36 lhd-rhd conversion BTW..

As said above, rather get a lhd and take it over.

My 2c worth..

Will

I saw a guy who converted RHD to LHD in Korea on his E39 on one of Korean BMW forum.

However it seems that it's a difficult and somewhat expensive job to complete.

Probably it will be better just to drive RHD vehicle in Korea.

As far as I know, there are no restrictions on driving RHD vehicle in Korea. You will just find it difficult when it comes to the picking up the ticket at toll gates(most of motorways are toll road in Korea) and parking lot.

And I'm sure the insurance premium will be more expensive if you drive RHD BMWs.

Are they not allowed to be RHD there?just out of interest.

No idea, I was thinking they might but maybe it isn't so easy to register it. Otagomed below has a better answer though.

It would be simpler to buy a LHD in Japan, bring to NZ then on ship to Korea. There are quite a few LHD that show up in the auctions and getting to NZ is only $1500 transport fee ontop of purchase price.

That's a very good point! I'll pass that on.

I have just completed a lhd-rhd conversion of an e36 (done by me personally). If the complexity of that is anything to go by, I wouldn't attempt to have it done as it is probably going to cost the earth, the main cost coming from having to relocate virtually every computer under the dash to the opposite side.

I would NEVER undertake another e36 lhd-rhd conversion BTW..

As said above, rather get a lhd and take it over.

My 2c worth..

Will

Thanks for that Will. Out of interest, what sort of parts are involved, other than a new dashboard? Would the cost of conversion mainly be labour?

I saw a guy who converted RHD to LHD in Korea on his E39 on one of Korean BMW forum.

However it seems that it's a difficult and somewhat expensive job to complete.

Probably it will be better just to drive RHD vehicle in Korea.

As far as I know, there are no restrictions on driving RHD vehicle in Korea. You will just find it difficult when it comes to the picking up the ticket at toll gates(most of motorways are toll road in Korea) and parking lot.

And I'm sure the insurance premium will be more expensive if you drive RHD BMWs.

Thanks for that mate. I'll pass that on - I think his budget is $10k, max. So probably a good idea to sell the car here, and import a LHD car to Korea instead.

Dash, centre console, handbrake lever, auto gearlever, steering rack, wiper mechanism are some of the bits required off the top of my head. Other things like carpeting, front seats having the airbag sensors on the wrong side, door lock mechanisms electrics wrong side etc.

If you can source a donor car, that is the best way as you could swap out the wiring loom which is the biggest problem, however mine was a lhd convertible which has the soft top electronics integrated into the main loom, couldn't find any donor so had to do it the long way. Cost about 2.5K in parts and a VERY LONG time in labour.

I am probably going to do a writeup on the conversion sometime so that will better describe what was involved.

Will