Sign in to follow this  
Tbirdsteve

E39 importing

I'm looking at bringing in a 1999 E39 V8 but unfortunately LTSA has changed the restrictions again. Does anyone know if this car will meet the new Emissions rules which kicked in on January 3rd 2008? Is there a list somewhere like with the Frontal Impact requirements, or do they test each car individually at the border to make sure it's ok? It's been a few years since I lasted imported anything and I haven't kept up with all the latest.

I did some research for the same question a few months ago when Helen decided to test the water. At that stage, Euro 3 was proposed which was after 2000 build. Now the law is set for Euro 2 standard which I think was 1998 (you will need to check by googling "BMW Euro 2 emmission")

The LTSA site with info is

http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/publicati...sheet-2-08.html

In all honestly you should be asking the LTSA.

Bahahahahaha... VERY FUNNY!!!

I tried the LTSA when busy trying to suss out what paperwork/mods/conversions etc were necessary to register my e36 vert, the info given me couldn't have been more wrong.. and I phoned them several times with different questions, spoke with different people and AWAYS was given the incorrect info. The VTNZ was equally bad, person there doing compliance hadn't a clue, AND he had been passed by LTSA as being competent.. blind leading the blind I think. :wacko:

In the end I went to the VINZ in Whangarei, spoke with extremely helpful people there (Tim, Peter) who put me onto a chappie called Scott (Auckland VTNZ in Mt Wellington I think). Now he REALLY knows his stuff, sorted my issues out quickly, gave me all the CORRECT info I should've received from the LTSA and VTNZ. (Between the LTSA and VTNZ I nearly gave up and wrecked the car!!!)

I don't know how much he would know about the emission rules, but, in my experience with him, if he doesn't know, he DOESN'T bullsh*t pretending he knows, he goes off, gets the facts AND gets back to you QUICKLY!! I would recommend you contact him and see what he says.

This is an unashamed plug for the VINZ and Scott in particular, without their knowledge and efforts, I would be sitting with a very expensive unusable e36 Schnitzer convertible right now!! If I ever have to do any sort of compliancing etc again, I will be using the VINZ ... B)

Will

Pic of the "saved" vert...

Posted Image

Edited by will

Bahahahahaha... VERY FUNNY!!!

My comment was more aimed at the fact that of the ten people who reply to this thread, there will be at least 8 different answers.

Dont forget Will that I brought my 7 over from the UK, I know the pitfalls like you and the LTSA website is a good place to start your research !

My comment was more aimed at the fact that of the ten people who reply to this thread, there will be at least 8 different answers.

If you phone LTSA 10 times, you equally will get at least 8 different answers... tragically!

lol yeah, they are absolutely useless. The first women I spoke to said everything was on the website, then I said that the website clearly says nothing on there is to be taken as legal advice or is accurate, and that I thought by calling them they would be able to give me the correct answer. The lady replied 'all I know is you have to check the website' I hung up on the stupid bitch, called back again and got someone that refused to acknowledge the existance of BMW 8-series cars and said she had only heard of 3,5 and 7.

Well i had no problems at all getting my car in and all I used was the information on the website....maybe I just got lucky.

If you want to hear gutting ... just getting my Jap import e60 complied and everything was fine until they couldn't find the Chassis Sticker (not the VIN engraved on the suspension). The dereg sheet from Japan didn't have the classification number on it so I have to go to BMW NZ for the official compliance sheet ... cost = $500 for a letter from them !!! and it will take 7 working days !!!

Will - nice lines on the e36 :)

Pic of the "saved" vert...

Wow Will it's gorgeous, don't usually like the Type IV on the E36, too modern for the body shape I thought, but I really like the combination of mods on your car. She looks new.

If you want to hear gutting ... just getting my Jap import e60 complied and everything was fine until they couldn't find the Chassis Sticker (not the VIN engraved on the suspension). The dereg sheet from Japan didn't have the classification number on it so I have to go to BMW NZ for the official compliance sheet ... cost = $500 for a letter from them !!! and it will take 7 working days !!!

Will - nice lines on the e36 :)

Bummer - hope you can get the car on the road asap. Must be painful waiting to drive your E60 M5!

Bummer - hope you can get the car on the road asap. Must be painful waiting to drive your E60 M5!

The battery is getting low from me getting in and playing with the iDrive and starting it up. So many options to play with and learn. Drive's totally different with the SMG than I ever thought it would. So used to tiptronic auto that the car rolls back when you are in drive and sitting at intersection - it is a manual car at heart.