Sign in to follow this  
RvT

Need to buy 2 x 285/35 ZR19 Run Flats for back of car

Car has Continental Sportcontact2 on at the moment. Local tyre place said replacement cost is $1250 each. Falkons are one option at half that price but not sure if they are run flats.

Any other options out there in NZ ?

Are you not thinking of chucking out the RFTs and get ordinary tyres?

BMW's advice was the car was designed with RFTs on, so with ordinary tyres handling can be compromised.

Also the pressure warning will go off regularly.

But I think it is a small price to pay compared with your $1200 while mine is about $600 (Dunlop Sport 18 inch).

If you can afford an M5, you should be able to afford the cost of the tyres :P . Keep the Run Flats and fork out the money would be my advice, I can have a hunt around and see what else is available but won't be till Tuesday as we have a long weekend up here.

Hmmm, I think RFTs are less than appropriate for NZ. Sure in Germany where you can do 200kph+, a blow out will have terrible consequences, and changing a flat tyre at the autobahn' shoulder will be quite scary.

Additionally you have to think of what can you do when you have to replace a tyre somewhere in the West Coast (of NZ)? I don't think the local tyre store will have a 19inch ContiSport.

Once I had to replace one non-RFT Conti (16 inch) at Taupo and no one had it in stock.

I don't see this as a money thing, it's more a less than ideal situation being forced upon customers by the manufacturer. RFT is a great invention but I'd rather wait until I can get a replacement tyre anywhere in NZ if I have to replace my tyre.

I do have RFTs on my E60, and when the time arrives for me to replace my rear tyres, I'll switch to non-RFTs.

BTW RvT, if you move to non-RFT tyre, then you need to get a spare (donut) from BMW. That'll cost about $300.

Good point about the West Coast etc. Do all the e60s run with no spare tyres in them? (I know my old z4 had no spare). I was a bit shocked when I looked for the spare and only saw a 12V compressor. Haven't checked if it has a jack as yet now I think of it - will look at it in the morning. I would feel safer with a spare in the car though.

Zenetti - have you heard of bad experinces with RFTs and people being stuck in the middle of no where? Local tyre guy reckons you can get 200kms out of a flat one at 80km/h. Your thoughts or experiences ?

Do all the e60s run with no spare tyres in them? (I know my old z4 had no spare).

Mine has but it's an option, code '300 Emergency Wheel'.

Zenetti - have you heard of bad experinces with RFTs and people being stuck in the middle of no where? Local tyre guy reckons you can get 200kms out of a flat one at 80km/h. Your thoughts or experiences ?

Mate, remember Murphy's Law?

Mine has but it's an option, code '300 Emergency Wheel'.

Mate, remember Murphy's Law?

murphys law always apply to flats....i always get flats at the worst possible time....the last one was halfway up the hill in napier on the way to be a wedding car...

Hmmm, I think RFTs are less than appropriate for NZ. Sure in Germany where you can do 200kph+, a blow out will have terrible consequences, and changing a flat tyre at the autobahn' shoulder will be quite scary.

Additionally you have to think of what can you do when you have to replace a tyre somewhere in the West Coast (of NZ)? I don't think the local tyre store will have a 19inch ContiSport.

Once I had to replace one non-RFT Conti (16 inch) at Taupo and no one had it in stock.

I don't see this as a money thing, it's more a less than ideal situation being forced upon customers by the manufacturer. RFT is a great invention but I'd rather wait until I can get a replacement tyre anywhere in NZ if I have to replace my tyre.

I do have RFTs on my E60, and when the time arrives for me to replace my rear tyres, I'll switch to non-RFTs.

BTW RvT, if you move to non-RFT tyre, then you need to get a spare (donut) from BMW. That'll cost about $300.

Murphy's Law also says you will fork out money for a spare wheel and never need it.

Kiwi535 maybe if you had RFT you could have driven to the wedding still :P

A Blow-out at ANY speed can be dangerous!

Run-flat tyres are designed to minimise the difference in ride quality when a tyre is punctured. When a vehicle is designed to be fitted with Run-flat tyres as standard the suspension system is tuned to incorporate them into the design.

The Run flats definitely have there pro's and con's - the biggest con being the price. They are also generally 2-3 times heavier than a normal tyre. However overall, it does reduce the weight of the vehicle.

Continental use an internal support ring mounted on the inside of the rim, other brands use a significantly strengthened sidewall, I don't know how compatible the two different styles are. The internal support ring may add to the cost of the tyre?

To be honest I have not had any experience with run flats on an M5 but have done plenty on the new Mini and on the latest 540's. They both use the strengthened sidewall style of tyre.

I found this article very interesting: www.etyres.co.uk/run-flat-tyres

There is a point made above about shops carrying 19" RFT - how many stores anywhere in the country do you know of that carry stock of 285/35/19 in any brand or style? Also if you are going away from RFT how and where are you going to SAFELY store the spare?

At the end of the day it will come down to your personal preference. RFT ARE going to become more and more popular. It is the old economics 101 adage - "supply and demand", as they become more popular the price will come down.

Edited by zenetti

Run-flat tyres are designed to minimise the difference in ride quality when a tyre is punctured. When a vehicle is designed to be fitted with Run-flat tyres as standard the suspension system is tuned to incorporate them into the design.

The Run flats definitely have there pro's and con's - the biggest con being the price. They are also generally 2-3 times heavier than a normal tyre. However overall, it does reduce the weight of the vehicle.

Surely this is going to compromise ride and handling though since the unsprung weight is so much greater. I have read several articles where handling of new BMW's has been compared unfavourably with that of earlier generations - normally blamed on reduced compliance of RFT's.

Regarding storing a spare - can't you buy sealant/inflation cans. Might result in ditching the tyre afterwards, but I believe that is the case with RFT's anyway.

edit:

Links to articles here, here, and here.

Edited by Nic325i

Very good replies all!

With my E60 I find that it's more unsettled compared with my E39. Additionally I feel the bumps on the road more.

As I mentioned previously I already have a spare, the car was ordered with that option.

As pointed out, it'll be more of personal preference. If I rely a lot on the handling of the car, I wouldn't want to compromise it.

Prices might come down when battered Jap import E60s with RFTs start to flood our shores, as is the case with E39.

Surely this is going to compromise ride and handling though since the unsprung weight is so much greater. I have read several articles where handling of new BMW's has been compared unfavourably with that of earlier generations - normally blamed on reduced compliance of RFT's.

Regarding storing a spare - can't you buy sealant/inflation cans. Might result in ditching the tyre afterwards, but I believe that is the case with RFT's anyway.

edit:

Links to articles here, here, and here.

As I said earlier car manufacturers retune their suspension and chassis characteristics for RFT's.

From what I can gather from reading those articles the RFT's only form a very small part of the equation. They blame the 5 series chassis and the Z4's 18" wheels as the 'major' reason for the reduced ride quality. I believe the technical 'wizardry' of the M5 would make up for any perceived 'drop-off' in handling

Quote:

Unfortunately it's never quite as flowing as it could be; like all 5s save the M-version, this car suffers from an ill-composed ride, always jittery and easily wrong-footed by rapid-fire bumps. BMW admits the 5-series has suffered more than subsequent models from the fitment of run-flat tyres simply because the chassis was originally developed with standard rubber.

I proudly sit on the fence with RFT's and believe it is up to the individual to make an informed choice. :D .

Edited by zenetti

Very good replies all!

Prices might come down when battered Jap import E60s with RFTs start to flood our shores, as is the case with E39.

It has already started :P

increasing unsprung weight is not a desireable thing...there may be electronic means of mitigating effects but neverless it is not good for roadholding/ride

It has already started :P

I know!!

There is an E60 520 in TM. It doesn't even have front PDC!

BTW, here's a link from the e60 site discussing RFT and non-RFT. Interesting to read on what they were saying after switching (back) etc. Again, it's personal preference.

Thanks guys for the links which is what this forum is about :)

Had a look for the jack yesterday under the back mat and it wasn't good. There is no space for a spare tyre full stop unless it is less than 10" wide. Not sure how the other e60s get around it but the space is taken up with a battery, wiring looms and only a compressor plus a BMW can of glu which will links up with the compressor to pump up the tyre.

I have to buy RFTs by default unless the spare sits in the boot which is not likely. The rear tyres past compliance test last week but there are some cuts in the side wall and a couple of chunks of rubber removed about the size of 50 cent piece so replacements are required.

Falkons - are they RFTs ? I see on eBay that Pirelli make some - not sure if they are in NZ. Currently I am told nothing in NZ for my car but some Continentals about 2 weeks away.

porsche have a similar problem with room for a spare, they get round it by putting a self inflating spare in there, maybe BMW has a similar option?

i am sure battery could be relocated to side of boot,that prolly where non rft cars have the battery,than as zenetti say have the spare in there but flat......use the compressor to pump it up.

Spare in my E60

Thanks

The boot of the e60 M5 - Obviously a different rear spare which is surprising as I thought they would keep the same panels etc

post-33-1201677514_thumb.jpg

Yup, you're stuck with RFTs. Maybe?

The link I posted dealt with non-M5.

Been to m5board.com? Here's a good discussion on tyres. Seems that you don;t have to stick with Contis. Although that means changing all four corners.

Yup, you're stuck with RFTs. Maybe?

The link I posted dealt with non-M5.

Been to m5board.com? Here's a good discussion on tyres. Seems that you don;t have to stick with Contis. Although that means changing all four corners.

Yip I am stuck with RFT. Will check out your link next :)

Just now surfing to fix next issue ... Radio changing from Jap fequencies to NZ. Malaysia has the same issues so checking forum there. Don't want to put a band expander in if I can avoid it. They talk about swapping the CD player to get the radio operating but still surfing for confirmation.

2nd problem is that car has Japanese Car phone option and not bluetooth option so trying to find if I can link them. Currently a retrofit on eBay at $US1,000 which is not worth the expense.

So many ducks to line up to get the car where I am "happy" :)

i am sure the radio can be fixed because it wil be a "world radio",although maybe with the i drive its al more complex....really hope you get things sorted,be so satisfying to have that car just as you like it!

i am sure the radio can be fixed because it wil be a "world radio",although maybe with the i drive its al more complex....really hope you get things sorted,be so satisfying to have that car just as you like it!

I had assumed that too as the e39 had a world radio in it. After dropping into the dealership today, they informed me that the e60 doesn't have the world radio any more and it is back to the old system of band expander. No doubt as more e60s come into NZ, this will become a topic of more forums here.

I had assumed that too as the e39 had a world radio in it. After dropping into the dealership today, they informed me that the e60 doesn't have the world radio any more and it is back to the old system of band expander. No doubt as more e60s come into NZ, this will become a topic of more forums here.

You're absolutely right.

The factory keeps each car's setup in the system that dealer accesses online. As the owner retrofits/repair carried out something, the dealer updates the data accordingly. Therefore if you DIY an Aux, for example, without getting your car's data updated, next time you're in for service the system will get confused. This means that the dealer HAS to update your car before they can start working on it.

However, apparently BMWs imported to Japan has a completely different system (Progman) to everyone else in the world. I don't know whether the dealer can uninstall and reinstall the car's system so you'll get a non-Japan system. And I've heard that someone (E60 Jap import) had their power window fixed but the radio became non-functional when Progman was updated.

You might be able to do a straight swap on the radio, but .... it might stop working when Progman gets updated. Remember, almost for every error that car throws, the resolution will be to update Progman (~$180).

Genuine BMW's bluetooth solution is to install TCU. List price is about $1500US.

I was thinking about bringing in a 1 series from Japan, but after hearing this I think I'll wait until I know the full story. Also I don't think 120D is big in Japan.

I suspect Jap imports that can have iDrive in it will potentially face compatibility problem regardless whether it actually has iDrive installed or not. E90, 1 series, the new X5, E65, E60 and 6 series. X3 and E46s (and older models) will be OK.

The price for having the latest technology eh.

Edited by 318Touring

I was thinking about bringing in a 1 series from Japan, but after hearing this I think I'll wait until I know the full story. Also I don't think 120D is big in Japan.

I suspect Jap imports that can have iDrive in it will potentially face compatibility problem regardless whether it actually has iDrive installed or not. E90, 1 series, the new X5, E65, E60 and 6 series. X3 and E46s (and older models) will be OK.

The price for having the latest technology eh.

you were at The BBQ sunday...kevin bought in that 120.....from japan i assume