Sign in to follow this  
CamB

323i box into pre-f/l 325i

Jonathan (JiB) has a pre-f/l 325i auto, with sport mode. He's also got a manual everything 323i - about a 1985, ex the UK.

Today we did the first half of the job. We got the 323i's manual box (and all of the etc) out. It's a Getrag 260.

We haven't quite got to removing the auto from the 325i and finishing the swap - we'll give it a go on Sunday. I've got a question about flywheel sensors, etc.

Looking down in below the starter, it looks like the 325i might have flywheel sensors. The 260 from the 323i didn't... so, are we in trouble? Unfortunately we ran out of time to check exactly whats on the 325i.

Edited by CamB

You are in trouble. If the new box doesn't have place for the sensors, either you will have to get them somehow welded/machined in or you will have to convert the motor to motronic 1.3 that uses a crank pulley sensor.

Will

Hmmm, so if the sensors can mount, the flywheel needs to be correct... which it probably won't be (anyone have a pic?)...

... or could try find correct flywheel and box. At least we have the rest of the kit (and a decent clutch - bonus).