Sign in to follow this  
natshaw

E38 Japanese radio - is world mode available?

Hi, I'm wondering how I can tell if my radio can be switched from Japanese frequency range to NZ freq.

Car is 1997 740i (4.4l), stereo is 4:3 TV with DVD GPS and CD stacker. Sorry, am not sure what other information is relevant - I am new and so is the car (for me, at least)!

Any help much appreciated, am hoping I don't have to get a different radio!

Edit: actually, it wouldn't bother me to get a new stereo if that would help with getting the Japanese GPS to operate in English with NZ maps! Am assuming only certain gear is compatible with my E38, but not sure which versions.

Cheers!

Edited by Chalky

Hi, I'm wondering how I can tell if my radio can be switched from Japanese frequency range to NZ freq.

Car is 1997 740i (4.4l), stereo is 4:3 TV with DVD GPS and CD stacker. Sorry, am not sure what other information is relevant - I am new and so is the car (for me, at least)!

Any help much appreciated, am hoping I don't have to get a different radio!

Edit: actually, it wouldn't bother me to get a new stereo if that would help with getting the Japanese GPS to operate in English with NZ maps! Am assuming only certain gear is compatible with my E38, but not sure which versions.

Cheers!

Hi, Welcome to forum.

Firstly, no your present radio cant be changed to NZ BUT a replacement tuner (in rear of car) can be a plug & play to work perfectly in NZ. You current one is Jap specific. World programable tuners came out in BMW's in 2001 onwards, before then they were market specific - ie Jap, USA, Europe/Australasa.

I have a tuner at present to suit your car for NZ reception & can help with nav conversion too - have seen through many conversions in these cars.

PM me for details

Cheers

Grant

Hi,

I am thinking of buying 7 series 2007 model from japan..can I convert sat nav, radio etc..to australian spec???

any help appreciated..

/Taki

Hi, Welcome to forum.

Firstly, no your present radio cant be changed to NZ BUT a replacement tuner (in rear of car) can be a plug & play to work perfectly in NZ. You current one is Jap specific. World programable tuners came out in BMW's in 2001 onwards, before then they were market specific - ie Jap, USA, Europe/Australasa.

I have a tuner at present to suit your car for NZ reception & can help with nav conversion too - have seen through many conversions in these cars.

PM me for details

Cheers

Grant

Hi, Short answer: Nav -no, not cracked at this stage, radio - maybe - where are you located?