Sign in to follow this  
no_fat_chicks

Fuel pump whine?

hello,

I just bought a 88 325i a few weeks ago. Theres a strange whine coming from the rear of the car. I can hear it loud and clear while idling. I wish it was from the front boosting my car. Well, it seems to be the fuel pump. The guy I bought the car off, says its got an aftermarket fuel pump. I have also read that it might be the primer pump doing all the work instead of the main pump and hence whining about it?

Edited by no_fat_chicks

I have a '86 325i and mine's whining. Ernst at Bavarian Motors told me it was on the way out.

how much was the replacement gonna cost?

Haven't found out yet...hoping to either scab it off my parts car or somewhere :D . Mine's still whining away :P

Yeah, JiBs sounds nasty.

no_fat_chicks - some aftermarket fuel pumps are just plain loud. It might pay to figure out what you've got.

You will probably find that even the stock ones are noticable as they are an external tank pump.. is it a whine or more of a constant air leak kinda sound? because mine makes an air leak sound which is just the pump simply running normally, has done so since the car was purchased in 2000.

Luke

you will hear the pump runing because fuel pumps are noisey f.ers. but it should not be to the point that u can significantly hear it while idling. and if it was running on the primer pump it would run like sh*t as the primer pump is not a high presure pump (dont quote me on that last bit though)

thanx for the posts, well the car is running very smooth. Also, I hear a hissing sound from the rear or below the car, still haven't figured the position of the source. Yea, it might just be that I might have to get it checked or check it myself.

Yea you shouldnt be able to hear it hissing from sitting inside the car etc...

The fuel pump is on the left hand side of the car (opposite side from the fuel cap) under the car just in front of the rear wheel

I don't hear the hissing noise inside the car. But when I get out, and when its idling. It seems to be coming from the rear centre, I am guessing the diff? Anyone encounter this problem before?

I don't hear the hissing noise inside the car. But when I get out, and when its idling. It seems to be coming from the rear centre, I am guessing the diff? Anyone encounter this problem before?

Fuel pump is located just in front of the passenger side rear wheel in a coupe. Stick yer head under there and you should be able to hear a whining sound quite clearly, as well as see the pump.

The diff is inbetween the two rear wheels and should not be moving when you're stationary - read not whining at idle.

I hope that helps.

....Boost Junky's beaten me to it.

Certainly sounds normal,

Otherwise the fuel pump in the three e30's I've owned was about to break.

"certainly sounds normal

Otherwise the fuel pump in the three e30's I've owned was about to break"

thanx, hehe I think its more than enuf warnings.

shes a 4-door btw. I will just take it to glen and see wheres the hissing noise coming from. Sorry, my knowledge of cars and mechanical things is very basic. I am keen to get my hands dirty, although I am worried I might stuff something up and end up paying for a major repair.

Edited by no_fat_chicks

More than likely its your fuel pump operating as per norm. Just get one of the kind members of Bimmersport that is local to you to have a look for you save you $$ :)