Sign in to follow this  
pureboiracer

cam grinding

hey guys. as you all probably know im building up a racecar e30 at the moment. just a few little things left to do now.

now i was being a little nieve and went and got a huge 304 cam only to find out that it was too big. now ive done a little research and im going to get it ground back to a 284 which is what is recomended for my needs.

calford cams quoted me about 200 for the grind not inc shipping it there and back.

does anyone know of anywhere i can get it done more local to wellington?

I had the cam for my e30 325 ground to 285 by Cam Co Camshafts in Rotorua (07 348 0889).

The grind was called a "Kent Fast Road 22". It only cost $90 plus $8 freight to Auckland.

I was also quoted arround $200 from Kelford Cams

hey guys. as you all probably know im building up a racecar e30 at the moment. just a few little things left to do now.

now i was being a little nieve and went and got a huge 304 cam only to find out that it was too big. now ive done a little research and im going to get it ground back to a 284 which is what is recomended for my needs.

calford cams quoted me about 200 for the grind not inc shipping it there and back.

does anyone know of anywhere i can get it done more local to wellington?

Kevin at Kelfords is one of the best in the business [ he does R&D for Cosworth USA ] more locally I would give CSL cams in Palmy a try.

I assume the #'s 304 and 284 are advertised duration.

The longer the duration, the less cylinder pressure you get [because of overlap & timing etc ]

In an all out circuit car, I would use the fatter cam but try and get the compression up to 12 to 12-1/2: 1 [cams & high compression can mask poor volumetric eficiency, NASCAR restricter plate engines were up to 18:1 comp at one stage ]

If you want you car to pull off the corners [like a rally car] use the shorter cam, or a bigger engine [or both ]