Sign in to follow this  
tibbs.james

Rear Suspension Problem

Hopefully this shouldn't be in the maintenance forum but this is a suspension problem sooo....

Ever since i did my manual conversion ive noticed my car was quite jerky to drive and hard to take off smoothly in 1st & 2nd gear without being very very easy on the accelerator or slipping the clutch.

Next thing is when im in a low gear 1st or second and really stomp on it i get this clonk when i accelerate or when i lift off.

Could this be rooted subframe bushings ?

Diff has been swapped for a known good unit that was low kms.

also the last time i really launched it at the lights i got a bit of wheel hop.

Again makes me think subframe bushings are rooted. how can i find out short of pulling the whole subframe? yes i know they should be replaced since its 20yr old rubber, but would i be on the right track?

And of course which brand of bushings should I use ? Oem or urethane .

Daily driven streer car but its getting some koni adjustables in the near future & already has ebach springs.

Help appreciated

Regards James

Have you checked the two bolts on top of the diff that hold the diff in place? If they are lose they will cause wheel hop. Make sure you lose lock tight when you do them up, they do come lose

Edited by Drifty 340i V8

thats a good point, done them up bloody tight(nut cracker spanner) when fitting the diff but I never put loctite on them.

Edit: Been and checked all diff mounting bolts done up nice and solid

any comments on the Ireland Engineering urethane parts ? they look well priced .

Drifty do you want to sell your old rear swaybar ?

while looking at my diff bolts i remembed i don't have one.

Edited by Jimmy

I.E stuff is great. Do adjustable camber and toe while you've got it out.

Year ill more than likely sell my old one dude. Im getting the adj camber and toe kit to :) as soon as i get some more money

Check PM's Drifty

I need the camber and toe kit too only i need them for a Z31, not an E30

Your car has some crazy camber when i recently seen it at the exhaust shop, mine is fine rear tires are wearing fairly even over last 10,000 kms.

Year its got nutty camber on rear aye, its fairly low though remembering its a pre f/l with higher guards. I'm hoping the new bushes will bring it back out a little. Yip just sent you a pm back dude, sounds like a good idea

After Some Research and finding out that rear shock mounts are a common problem on E30 cars

Ive placed an order for the IE sub frame bushing's ( Street ) the IE Trailing arm bushing kit & the Billet Alloy rear shock mount kit.

The idea being there are no more clonks or shudders from my car.

Only After a good inspection of my front control arms the rubber on the main ball joint is split so they will need replacing too. ( oh it never ends.should i go Genuine BMW on these or are aftermarket replacment arms fine here ?)

I couldn't bring myself to buy a set of bilsteins from Ireland Engineering without shopping around first & finding out what they ride like.

Edited by Jimmy