Sign in to follow this  
Muzzie

FS: 1952 Ford Prefect

Don't really wanna sell it but I have too many cars and I gotta make room.

It's a green 1952 Ford Prefect, model E493A. Has the headlights in the guards as apposed to the E93A which had them ontop.

Ex 6 volt, all the lights have been replaced with 12v globes, rear lights have been added with indicators/tail/brake. Generator and regulator are 12 volt, still positive earth for originality. Runs like a clock, starts easily, clutch is good, gearbox and diff are sound.

Hasnt had the rust done in the A pillars as mentioned in the project thread (just never got round to it), but has had rustkill put on it everywhere (on the body), and the roof rust I have started on. Comes with a spare radiator & fuel tank, plus a bonnet and whatever else is in the boot lol. Surface rust in the roof has been started by me.

Body looks a bit tidier than in the pics cause it was washed and cut and polish (could be done better, I didnt try cause the idea was to repaint).

To my knowledge (who knows what else the VTNZ find), all it needs to get it on the road is the rust in the bottom of the pillars (have been quoted $300 from my panelbeater to have this done, so I guess its not too bad/difficult), weld or replace the back left guard as its split (this is an easy repair - plus my panelbeater included welding this up in his price) and maybe the wipers to work a bit better. They do work, but old age and the fact that they are vacuum means they dont work as well as they might, but a cleaning up and lubricating of the motor should fix that dandy.

Other than that I'm pretty sure its sound. As I said before, all the lights/flasher etc have been done, I've gone over the brake linkages (these don't use a hydraulic system - its all mechanically linked), converted it to 12volt, changed the oil, new fan belt as well. Bakelite trims around the windows are removed currently to be polished but havent started them yet. Original canvas top has had a steel roof put in (very common modification). Exhaust has been replaced at some point in its life and now exits just before the left rear wheel. It is dereg and has no plates. Tis an original car though, original knobs and locks and chrome etc and very complete.

It's a solid little car and with a bit of TLC it would be awesome little car. Perfect for reminiscing of the old days It'll do 60mph at a stretch, although I wouldnt recommend it for long periods. Happily blats along at 50mph (80kph). Basically - it's a screwdriver & spanner type car thats easy to work on and get parts for. Theres an Auckland Club for these as well.

Has been totally reliable too, I've actually driven it several times (back roads and late at night usually) and clocked up a number of miles. Oil was changed recently as well.

Open to offers, I know what it's insured for in it's current state and what the market is currently so I have a rough idea of price.

I've seen one of these with a Cortina V6 in it, went like stink, and painted with flames it looked quite good. Have pics of exterior if anyone wants inspiration

Project thread (with some pics) - http://www.oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=6577

Posted Image

Open to offers, I know what it's insured for in it's current state and what the market is currently so I have a rough idea of price.

Well stick your neck out mate and tell us what you want.

'Open to offers' is not going to sell anything. If the car is for sale and you know what its worth put a price on it.

Well stick your neck out mate and tell us what you want.

'Open to offers' is not going to sell anything. If the car is for sale and you know what its worth put a price on it.

Mutter.

Somewhere in the region of a grand. Its less than what its insured for and less than what the Ford 8 & 10 club valued it at.

There you go....it wasnt that hard was it?

Its works for and against me though. It could put off potential buyers if they're hoping to get it for less, or they could find its cheap as. And if someone makes an offer they might offer more than I wanted.

So it's a meh type reply lol

Its works for and against me though. It could put off potential buyers if they're hoping to get it for less, or they could find its cheap as. And if someone makes an offer they might offer more than I wanted.

Exactly.

Someone could come along and offer more than what you are wanting or vice-versa, I'm sick of people like the above trying to overtake other peoples threads, get a life, leave it if it ain't yours.

Yea, but if people have no idea what it worth then they tend not to bother offering.

If you put a price then people can make a choice. If its too high you can lower it.

fcuksake guys leave the guys thread alone go make an o/t thread if your serious.

Personally I think if someone has decided on a car they want they would have done some research on what they go for / what they are worth, so they should be qualified to make an appropriate offer without the seller needing to put a price up. Yea prices are nice but they are compromising for the seller.

Gl man cool old car!

Edited by tire

Whats the point in having a for sale thread then if all anyone ever does it 'offers please' ?

How many people have actually sold something by not having a price?

Its getting ridiculous, if you want offers start an auction, if you know what you want state the price, its simple.

Exactly.

Someone could come along and offer more than what you are wanting or vice-versa, I'm sick of people like the above trying to overtake other peoples threads, get a life, leave it if it ain't yours.

How can you be sick of people when youve been here five minutes and contributed so little ?

Sorry Muzzie, I stay out of it from now on, this isnt helping your thead at all.

Haha, just changed the header on one of these today; in perfect condition, they are a neat little car and a great project.

G/L with the sale.

Looks nicer than this one...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-144621769.htm

chuck it on trademe. :)

If it comes to that then I will. But as you've proven, my region of a grand aint so bad :)

Haha, just changed the header on one of these today; in perfect condition, they are a neat little car and a great project.

G/L with the sale.

Cheers. I hope someone will find some love to spare for it. I just have too many cars currently. Gotta downsize a bit. Theres another 6 classic cars apart form this one hehehe

just remember his auction was 1K but not reserve, put $1000 res and u should get it.