Sign in to follow this  
aaronmartin

Fuel consumption inaccurate

The fuel consumption display on my X5 seems to be quite inaccurate. I filled the tank, reset the trip computer and then drove around for a few hundred kilometers, then filled up again. The fuel consumption according to the trip computer had averaged 12.2L/100km, but when I work out how much it took to refill and the kilometers I travelled, it was actually more like 13.5L/100km.

Are these normally that inaccurate, or could there be something wrong?

The fuel consumption display on my X5 seems to be quite inaccurate. I filled the tank, reset the trip computer and then drove around for a few hundred kilometers, then filled up again. The fuel consumption according to the trip computer had averaged 12.2L/100km, but when I work out how much it took to refill and the kilometers I travelled, it was actually more like 13.5L/100km.

Are these normally that inaccurate, or could there be something wrong?

You can adjust the reading if you have the high IKE.

Go into service mode, go to test 20, and adjust the consumption factor as follows:

TEST-NR. 20

KVBR: 1000

This "test" is actually a way to adjust the OBC's fuel consumption factor. There's a sensor in the fuel injector system that indicates fuel consumption back to the OBC. This "KVBR" value is used to calibrate that sensor using the following process:

• Reset one of the OBC mileage indicators and the trip odometer, and fill your tank.
  • Record the actual fuel consumption for your car over a long period (one to two months at least).
  • Divide this reading into the trip odometer value to calculate your actual mileage.
  • Divide this result by the OBC indicated mileage over the same period and multiply by 1000.
You now have your fuel consumption factor. To enter the factor into the OBC, get into Test 20 and press Reset. This will start the KVBR value counting down. It will count down to 750, then start over at 1250. A crude user interface to be sure, but it works.

You probably don't need to change the KVBR value; the default value of 1000 should be accurate. And if your calculated fuel consumption factor is outside the 750–1250 range, there's probably something wrong.

Aaron, press & hold R/H reset button in dash cluster until in service mode, release & press again to required number