Sign in to follow this  
Cale

Smoked HELLA DIY

Has anyone done THIS

Looks pretty sweet, so just wondering if this would apply to Smiley ellipsoids, thinking of giving it a go.

Damn they look mean!

I did my ones before I swapped em for standard ones on my E36 just using that tint spray on the front lense. DONOT recommend this as my lights were dramatically crappened.

Mint, I'm planning on doing this very soon, however just curious, what kind of glue to I need to re-seal my lights? I have non smile ellipsoids as well, do I just use silicon to re-seal them? Or whats the story? Also curious, the light inside wouldn't get so hot that I would need to use heat proof paint???

Cheers,

A.

Edited by QuickSilver

Doing this tomorrow ive been meaning to for sooo long!

Edited by Chris C

and voila! Still going to do high beams but for now just the lows are done, thoughts anyone? Please excuse a few things, the dirtiness, the "in between paint jobs" bumper and general lack of clean, aside from that, what do you al reckon?

post-1848-1206326427_thumb.jpg

post-1848-1206326460_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

Alex.

that looks dam awesome, might have to give it a go in the future

Looks good man, Im still undecided if it will suit my car yet, but it deffinatly suits your car really well

still havent done it, but do have a spare set of ellipsoids which rules so can keep my smilies in mint condition :)

How did you go getting the lense off quicksilver? you use the oven like the write up?

How did you go getting the lense off quicksilver? you use the oven like the write up?

+1, also Alex, what did you end up using to glue the lense on? Silicon? Black stuff?

To get lenses off I used the oven just like the write up, I don't reckon there's any other way as that glue is tough as hell, I sat it in there when the oven was cold, and heated up to 170C which is around d 350F and once the light turned off I took them out then used a screw driver to pry them open, its definitely the most annoying part of the whole process but not hard, although I did one at a time because as I opened one the other cooled down to much and the glue hardened again.

My sealed beams are now REALLY sealed beams lol, I used Araldite, its a two part glue you have to mix, its very tough and heat resistant, re-sealing I used the glue, let it set over night, and in the morning sealed it up aswell with black silicon, so their not going anywhere, very tough, very waterproof, and very sealed.

Just to add, the lights haven't been affected at all from doing this mod, their exactly as they were before except they look better, visibility does not get compromised.

Alex.