Sign in to follow this  
jksnz

E46 Stereo

Hey guys

I want to get my hands on a E46 CD/MP capable head unit, any idea's where i can procure one from?

Cheers

JK

Hey guys

I want to get my hands on a E46 CD/MP capable head unit, any idea's where i can procure one from?

Cheers

JK

eBay.de is your friend here :-)

Hunt on TradeMe, maybe you find one there.

Tip1: make sure you know if you need a NewGen (NG) radio or an OldGen (OG) radio

Radio design, and car wiring, changed late 2001.

Post 2001 uses NG radio, different connector, different antenna amp

If you try and fit NG to an OG car, you need to add wiring loom adapters and change the antenna amp.

If you want to (eventually) add MP3 ID3 text etc then get the newest NG radio you can find.

Otherwise, if you are happy with plain CD, get the matching radio for your car.

Tip2: NG radios have the twin-display, and are world models. You can buy ex-Japan, USA, or Europe. OG radios are regional-specific, you need to buy from an NZ, AUS new car, or from Europe. Do not get an ex-Japan or ex-USA OG radio, the tuner is different, and wrong, for NZ.

Japan OG radio has a 'TRAFFIC' or 'TRF' button, so leave well alone.

Jochen

Thanks dude, this is great.

Which of the connectors would would this be OG or NG, the connector on the head unit on my car is like this

eBay.de is your friend here :-)

Hunt on TradeMe, maybe you find one there.

Tip1: make sure you know if you need a NewGen (NG) radio or an OldGen (OG) radio

Radio design, and car wiring, changed late 2001.

Post 2001 uses NG radio, different connector, different antenna amp

If you try and fit NG to an OG car, you need to add wiring loom adapters and change the antenna amp.

If you want to (eventually) add MP3 ID3 text etc then get the newest NG radio you can find.

Otherwise, if you are happy with plain CD, get the matching radio for your car.

Tip2: NG radios have the twin-display, and are world models. You can buy ex-Japan, USA, or Europe. OG radios are regional-specific, you need to buy from an NZ, AUS new car, or from Europe. Do not get an ex-Japan or ex-USA OG radio, the tuner is different, and wrong, for NZ.

Japan OG radio has a 'TRAFFIC' or 'TRF' button, so leave well alone.

Jochen

post-2168-1207942008_thumb.jpg

Thanks dude, this is great.

Which of the connectors would would this be OG or NG, the connector on the head unit on my car is like this

The radio in your photo is an OG radio:

1. DIN antenna socket

2. Has a diversity control connector

3. Has a round-pin main connector

Jochen, can you be more specific here? I have a 2000 E46, so OG, and have now moved back to Australia. What's the difference with US tuning? I know their AM band is in 10kHz steps not 9kHz, but I never use AM. Is the FM band compatible with Aus?

cheers,

matt.

Jochen, can you be more specific here? I have a 2000 E46, so OG, and have now moved back to Australia. What's the difference with US tuning? I know their AM band is in 10kHz steps not 9kHz, but I never use AM. Is the FM band compatible with Aus?

cheers,

matt.

Matt,

3 different FM systems in world: Jap - 76 - 90, US - run on odd numbers, & rest of world.

So answer - NO

As Jochen said: OG tuners - market specific NG - programmable to specific market

What's the difference with US tuning? I know their AM band is in 10kHz steps not 9kHz, but I never use AM. Is the FM band compatible with Aus?

AM: US tunes in 10kHz steps, so won't tune to Aus AM stations

FM: US tunes in 0.2MHz steps, and odd numbers, so tiunes to 100.1, 100.3, 100.5 etc. Won't tune to even numbered frequencies.

Don't get an OG US radio. You'll regret it.

thanks guys. saves me from disaster. I'll speak to my wife's friend's German husband about ebay.de :)

Have I understood correctly in that I could get a NG stereo from anywhere (eg: the US off ebay like http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-Busines...QQcmdZViewItem) and it will work in NZ but will need a wiring harness and antenna amp for my OG E46?

Are the wiring harness and antenna amp easy to come by? And do all the NG radios work with the multi function steering wheel and std 6 disc changer?

One last thing, do the factory radios ask for a code when you install them??