Sign in to follow this  
secatur

Allroad Navi

Hi There,

Does anyone have any experience with Jap satnav units in Audi Allroad (2002)?

It's obvious that this original unit ain't gonna work here!

I have a german AUDI RNS-D unit, but I think I will probably buy a RNS-E (much better features)

Has anyone gone down this avenue already? If so, comments would be greatly appreciated!

What about DVD maps for NZ? Can they be got ?

Thanks

Jochen our beloved expert in these areas

A few of us have experience with BMW conversions, dont know anyone that has with Audi/VW yet -to my knowledge - including Jochen. I believe Audi NZ now offer nav as an option so probably can be done but would need to be researched. Being new release here- you would probably have to also buy an original map disc from the stealers too.

I have a german AUDI RNS-D unit, but I think I will probably buy a RNS-E (much better features)

Has anyone gone down this avenue already? If so, comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Basically the Jap navs (in BMWs anyway) use completely different map discs and formats and nav units from a Euro car. So to make a Jap car with nav work here, you have to change it to Euro spec. Because NZ follows Euro specs. If you can get the local maps of course...

So the procedure is:

1. Can you get an NZ map from Audi NZ? If no, stop right here.

If yes, then take a photo of an NZ New Audi with the NZ factory nav in it. Figure out the model number. Try talking to someone who knows nav systems (don't expect to find anyone who knows though...)

2. Get all the wiring diagrams and determine if any wiring differences exist between Jap market and Euro market Audis. If they do, determine what needs to be done to change it to Euro spec.

3. Armed with the photo, troll eBay for a Euro nav unit to see what the 2nd hand price is. Or, if you have lots of $$$$$ lying around, just buy a new one :-). And buy a map too.

4. Take a deep breath, and remove the Jap nav and fit the Euro one. Do it carefully, so that you can reverse what you've done

5. Pray that the car requires no reprogramming :-)

6. Insert the map and see if it works. If it does, shout 'hooray', pat yourself on the back, have a beer, then and go and show Audi NZ (but don't drink and drive). When they look at the nav in a Jap car, they'll probably say 'no, that's impossible ' - how'd you do that?' (which is what BMW say...)

6. If it didn't work, revert what you did, and sell the 2nd hand nav on eBay again. Sell the Audi, and buy a BMW - with working nav :-)

PS: I've changed loads of BMWs, but never touched any other car. Mainly because no other manufacturer ever made maps for NZ.

And the map discs are proprietary format, you can only fit VDO-format maps into VDO nav units (BMW, some VW, Seat, Skoda, Porsche, Peugeot, etc).

There is no common nav map disc format.

Good luck!

Ah, you already have a Euro nav unit. I just looked up some piccies of the RNS-D

Try the swap - pray that the manufacturer used the same wiring and same pinouts for the Jap and the Euro nav. Have a go :-)

Don't get an RNS-E until you know the RNS-D works.

I see the RNS-D is made by Blaupunkt. That means a BMW VDO map won't work in it :-(

Here's the pinout for the RNS-E

Read the other posts on that site as well, especially the ones stating the difference between USA and Europe versions of the RNS-E

i also got one 2005 AUDI A6 2.4L and the 2006 AUDI A4 2L came from jp.

i m also looking for sb who can help this out.

Hi There,

Thanks

Alias I too have been there and asked around. Audi Stealers said you can't change the unit and suggested a NZ Audi Radio but that will fill 1/2 the gap.

I ended up putting in a band expander myself but still not happy I can't get the TV to work. My 02 Allroad did come with a Japan DVD for the nav. When I put that in, the display on the dash showed a compass on it which is better than nothing and the words "No Service" (I think that is what it says). Not sure if I can copy the disc but if yours doesn't have one, reply here and I will see if it can be disc copied.

On another front, I found someone on an overseas forum who is mentoring me thru buying cables on eBay and setting me up with the software to convert radios on the e60s BMWs which have the same issue. The cabling may work also in the Audi as there is a VAGCOMM set up amongst it. If I can get mine changed, I will set up a sideline to convert other e60s for a small fee to cover the costs of the cables - not a cheap excerise so far. Once that comes together, the Audi will be next target.

Will update progress in a few weeks time once I have worked thru it.

i also got one 2005 AUDI A6 2.4L and the 2006 AUDI A4 2L came from jp.

i m also looking for sb who can help this out.

The procedure is described earlier in this thread.

Alias I too have been there and asked around. Audi Stealers said you can't change the unit and suggested a NZ Audi Radio but that will fill 1/2 the gap.

BMW dealers say the same, but following the procedure described earlier in this forum, I have converted many BMWs.

I ended up putting in a band expander myself but still not happy I can't get the TV to work. My 02 Allroad did come with a Japan DVD for the nav. When I put that in, the display on the dash showed a compass on it which is better than nothing and the words "No Service" (I think that is what it says). Not sure if I can copy the disc but if yours doesn't have one, reply here and I will see if it can be disc copied.

Forget copying the disc. The Japs use their own map format that noone else in the world uses. No Jap nav system can work here, you must change the nav hardware.

On another front, I found someone on an overseas forum who is mentoring me thru buying cables on eBay and setting me up with the software to convert radios on the e60s BMWs which have the same issue. The cabling may work also in the Audi as there is a VAGCOMM set up amongst it. If I can get mine changed, I will set up a sideline to convert other e60s for a small fee to cover the costs of the cables - not a cheap excerise so far. Once that comes together, the Audi will be next target.

Which BMW tool will you use to reprogram the control units in your car?

Edited by jochen