Sign in to follow this  
c.robertson00

323i Head

Are 323 and 325 heads the same as i need replace the valve seals etc and would rather do up another head and bolt it on rather than pull mine off and then have do it all quikly

Are 323 and 325 heads the same as i need replace the valve seals etc and would rather do up another head and bolt it on rather than pull mine off and then have do it all quikly

I think 323i and 320i both have 731 head but 325i has a different 885 head

Why take the head off?

Compressed Air will hold the valves closed [ make sure it's BDC though ]

Braze an Air Hose fitting [ approx $5.00 ] to an old sparkplug [ with the porcelain smashed out**]

You can Buy a cheap compressor at "Supercheap" for less than the cost of a BMW head gasket & head bolts

[** I've just stumbled on a legitimate use for Gus's Ball Peen Toolkit ]

I want to fully rebuild it and seat the valves etc. Will a rebuilt head put too much stress on the bottom end? the car has done 150,000 miles.....

I want to fully rebuild it and seat the valves etc. Will a rebuilt head put too much stress on the bottom end? the car has done 150,000 miles.....

I got m20 323i cylinder head here.... it's disassembled.... but I have all the parts...

As for bottom end... i dont see why it would put too much stress... it's only getting it back into specs...

Depends on the condition of the bottom end. I did two head rebuilds on M40's and ended up with run bearings from the extra compression with both. you might only be getting the head back in spec, but the bottom end won't be in spec with 150k on it. Cheap insurance at this stage I would have thought to at least redo the bearings?

Depends on the condition of the bottom end. I did two head rebuilds on M40's and ended up with run bearings from the extra compression with both. you might only be getting the head back in spec, but the bottom end won't be in spec with 150k on it. Cheap insurance at this stage I would have thought to at least redo the bearings?

hm... there maybe be many reasons for run bearings... Really hard to run a bearing with proper lubrication and no detonation (good tune)...

It's hard to say, depending on their current condition... mine after 130k miles were really good... I still had good oil pressure with sh*t work oil... but i changed them anyways cos I'm doing full rebuild anyways...