Sign in to follow this  
Dan.

Size and offset for wheels

Hey guys, I'm Dan from Auckland and a Bimmer lover :D

I currently have a E36 but stumped as to what offset is suitable for them wth 19"s.

So would 19"s, 8" wide, with a ET47 fit ..... or would they be a problem?

Any help would be great

Cheers

Hmmm, ive got 17x8's on my E36 which are sweet. You may need your guards rolled if the car is lowered ay.. I know that the rims im set on (18x8.5 +43 offset) will require a guard roll due to the height of the car, and its still above legal height.

But 19x8 ET47 will fit yes.. assuming theyre 5x120 as well..

BUT if you have an M3 youre sweet, because theyre factory rolled yo!

Hmmm, ive got 17x8's on my E36 which are sweet. You may need your guards rolled if the car is lowered ay.. I know that the rims im set on (18x8.5 +43 offset) will require a guard roll due to the height of the car, and its still above legal height.

But 19x8 ET47 will fit yes.. assuming theyre 5x120 as well..

BUT if you have an M3 youre sweet, because theyre factory rolled yo!

Sweet cheers for the reply ...... and damn those plates went cheap!!! few days too late haha doh

And yea they are 5x120 19"s 215/35/r19 et47

Unfortunately my e36 is only a 318is lol

Only main concern was if they would fit and clear the front and rear gaurds when lowered and if they would rub the front wheels on the inside during full lock ..... mmmm

Rollin the lip on the front gaurds your talking about of major rollage to pump front gaurds out? haha

Thanks anyway

Only main concern was if they would fit and clear the front and rear gaurds when lowered and if they would rub the front wheels on the inside during full lock ..... mmmm

Rollin the lip on the front gaurds your talking about of major rollage to pump front gaurds out? haha

Thanks anyway

Mm im pretty sure youll need the guards rolled a bit to reach full lock. Not major rollage but id say a wee bit, ill let one of the pros here comment on it, because im not totally sure sorry. Ive got a 328 and i know ill need mine rolled just to accommodate that extra .5" or width. 18's fit ok from what ive seen with mates, but 19's... hmm.. havent toyed with 19's yet

they will not rub on the guards due to the offset, instead they will tuck well inside. What you will probably find though is that they will hit on the inside struts at the front, especially nearing full lock The rear will have no issues at all though.

they will not rub on the guards due to the offset, instead they will tuck well inside. What you will probably find though is that they will hit on the inside struts at the front, especially nearing full lock The rear will have no issues at all though.

I had a set of 18x8.5 mags on a 318iS with factory m-sport suspension all round, they tucked halfway down the tyre in the back and the fronts rubbed on the guards on some corners.

what was the offset on that set though?

The ones that im looking at Mike?

19" x 8" mags

ET 47

215/35/r19 tyres

Cheers guys for the feedback, been helpful

I had a set of 18x8.5 mags on a 318iS with factory m-sport suspension all round, they tucked halfway down the tyre in the back and the fronts rubbed on the guards on some corners.

for a start these wheels are .5" wider than the ones loeuro is looking at and they will probably be a lower offset too, which makes them stick out further. The higher the offset the further IN the wheel sits, hence my statement about no guard rub. The wheel that Loeuro is looking at is probably too high an offset for an E36 and will foul somewhere in the front, cheers

Edited by zenetti

Thanks Zenetti and 3 pedals ..... really explains alot especially for the front, i always thought that higher offset brings the wheel out ....

Been alot of help, will have to search for some more 19" wheels that will hopefully fit with no problems :unsure:

Cheers guys :D

Yeah. I think the easiest way to put it is, the lower the offset the more the wheel moves out - don't think about it in absolute values but as a negative to positive scale.

Ok ...... 3pedals and zenetti.... or anyone else

What do you guys think about 19" x 8" 215/35/r19 ET42 ??

Sorry just dont want to get wheels and have problems with inner front wheels rubbing etc etc

as i plan to lower the go but not to extremes like slabs lol :P

Thanks any feedback would be great :D

Edited by LOEURO

Thats pretty close to the OE set up I have Et 41 at 7.5 on the front and 8.5 at the rear - why are you planning to run such skinny tyres??

i just thought after reading on these forums with guys that have 19"s that its best to go for 215's so you dont get much rubbing and they will clear the gaurds....

i was gona say how were your fronts with the ET41 offset but then again you have 7.5" wheels so would mean a different case for me

what size are your factory tyres at the moment? Being a 316 I wouldn't run 235's as they are too big, a 215/35 or 225/35 would be the way to go depending on the brand of tyre.

Edited by zenetti

Mhmm i will have to get back to you on my factory wheel size

Car is a E36 318is