Sign in to follow this  
rvrboy

E30 auto box symptons ?

Hi, had this 318i 1987 for a few months, and on my early morning starts(5.00 am) it has always seemed alittle slugish pulling away,( hard to tell if it has changed from 2nd to 3rdgear or not) for the first 500 meters or so. At first I thought it was just a general miss in the engine, and replaced the rotor -cap-and the temp' sensor, but no real difference noticed. It runs great after 2 minutes down the road . As the colder mornigs have set in, the slugishness is more noticeable, and I am now thinking it maybe the Auto that could be the culprit , it maybe time to service it, so other than changing the ATF and filter, is there anything else to check while the pan is off. I want to do this myself, and have a good mechanical background, but have not owned an Auto before. The ATF is still nice and redish, and does not smell burnt. What should I have to pay for a service kit for it.

Cheers Gerry

I have no mechanical knowledge whatsoever but my '85 320 (manual) would be really sluggish when it was cold, and would just refuse to go over 4.5k revs(ish) unless it had been running for 3-4mins and after the mechanic replaced the distributor cap, ignition leads and spark plugs, it's been sweet.

Common problems for E30 autos when cold can be;

Little or no forward or reverse drive with engine at idle, with drive only kicking in when the engine is given a rev.

Or the transmission will not make the up-shift from first to second gear until it has warmed up.

Or the car will try to pull away from a stand still in second gear.

A fluid change may help, but if it doesn't don't expect to get too many more km's from it.

When was the filter last changed? If you have a clogged filter the oil wont be able to pass through as easily as it should, when the oil heats up the viscosity thins and is able to pass through the clogged filter more easily.

An oil and filter change might do wonders?? Its worked on a few I've done.