Sign in to follow this  
mackt

Lava Lamps

1973 BMW 3.0 CSI MANUAL

3.0 CSI

This is a great looking car, maybe BMW need to look at he past to come up with aesthetic designs for future cars?

post-1717-1209721177_thumb.jpg

Saw that while browsing trademe, looks very nice.

Saw that while browsing trademe, looks very nice.

+1, a stunning car. What would the parts situation be like? Only sources would be through BMW and Ebay, I suppose.

I've heard the biggest issues are trim parts and rust (particularly bad, even for a 70s car) ... so don't crash one or drive it in the rain!

The E9 isnt as rare as the CHCH dealer would make out, I suspect the figures he is talking about are for the CSL not the CSi. Finding a RHD CSi or CS is relatively easy.

The price is a little OTT, I would suspect that in todays market $15-20K would buy you a tidy car privately.

Parts arent a really a problem either through BMW or speciallised places like Walloth and Nesch in Germany. Behind the 2002, the next most popular "classic" BMW is the E9, so parts do get remanufactured for them.

http://www.wallothnesch.com/e/

The biggest problem with these cars is rust, and they are really expensive to repair properly. The worst rust area is the rear floor, not only to they rust, but the diff setup (like the E3 and E12) can cause the floor to stress, fatigue and crack. If you are looking at one of these cars you would really want to have on a hoist and have it checked out really well body wise. All the mechanicals are available as they are generally the same as the E3, and the E12.

Was sitting outside my work a month ago, my jaw dropped when i saw it! Incidently it was raining that day lol..