Sign in to follow this  
Avenged.SSE

Good all round In-car GPS?

Hiya,

I'm looking around for a decent in-car GPS. I want to buy something reliable, preferably with some sort of video playing capability. Most importantly though I want some sort of text to speech feature so that it reads out the actual road names. I was looking at the Navman S90i, but it has no video playing capabilities. In terms of price - something in the $600 range.

Thanks for any help :)

If you wanted to go all out with a bit of effort and good fun would be make your own with an EEE PC... Extra $100 for a gps reciever, software wouldbnt be hard to get. 7" screen and a full O/S

Navman in 2006 range has a in-dash, DIN size headunit that plays DVD with 7" motorised screen. Since they are quite old, you might be able to find one at your price range. There's no text-to-speech for road names though.

As for map updates, well, when is the last time you update a map book? Mine's almost 6 years old. Software updates are 10x the price of a map book if available at all, so buy a map book as supplement to your GPS unit.

OEM in dash system best by far :P Can also fit DVD player to system as well if desired :P:P

I've heard good things about Garmin and Navman. Check out some auto parts stores like Super Cheap and Repco. The Navman S30i should be in your price range? That's a good solid unit.

I've heard good things about Garmin and Navman. Check out some auto parts stores like Super Cheap and Repco. The Navman S30i should be in your price range? That's a good solid unit.

The S30i O.O am I missing something here? I've found quite a few stores selling the s90i for just under $600. Anyone had an experience with this unit?

The S30i O.O am I missing something here? I've found quite a few stores selling the s90i for just under $600. Anyone had an experience with this unit?

Oops, sorry wasn't paying attention. To be honest the S50i is probably better value for money over the S90i unless you need a camera on the back of your GPS unit...

...That said, I think the S90i does text-to-speech and the S50i doesn't?

Just to throw a spanner in your thinking, I used a Tomtom in Europe last month and was impressed. It was easy to use and fun also. Ended up coming back to NZ and wanted one for here too. Went on line and everyone local was selling the basic models at high prices. Went to the head web site and found they are selling the latest model everywhere but in Australisia. Anyway, cut a long story short, ended up with the top of the range unit, Go 920T with all Europe, Canada and US maps on the 4GB internal memory landed here from eBay US for $NZ600. Downloaded the latest NZ map to the unit via the web and a docking port. It has Bluetooth for my phone calls, iPod interface and it can read out street names.

I know we have a liking for local products but if you happen to go overseas this unit is ready to go with you and it is the best selling GPS brand in the world so will be supported in years to come. You may not need it right now but in a few years time, it may be a good toy to take on your OE or trip.

My 5 cents worth :)

Just to throw a spanner in your thinking, I used a Tomtom in Europe last month and was impressed. It was easy to use and fun also. Ended up coming back to NZ and wanted one for here too. Went on line and everyone local was selling the basic models at high prices. Went to the head web site and found they are selling the latest model everywhere but in Australisia. Anyway, cut a long story short, ended up with the top of the range unit, Go 920T with all Europe, Canada and US maps on the 4GB internal memory landed here from eBay US for $NZ600. Downloaded the latest NZ map to the unit via the web and a docking port. It has Bluetooth for my phone calls, iPod interface and it can read out street names.

I know we have a liking for local products but if you happen to go overseas this unit is ready to go with you and it is the best selling GPS brand in the world so will be supported in years to come. You may not need it right now but in a few years time, it may be a good toy to take on your OE or trip.

My 5 cents worth :)

Seems like a good idea :D Do you have a link to the map download? and how much did it cost??

I bought the unit from this guy and was here in a week

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-TOMTOM-GO-92...1713.m153.l1262

Link to Tomtom is http://www.tomtom.com/

Maps is http://www.tomtom.com/products/maps/select...ge=8&D=1070

cost for NZ map was $AUS 150 but bear in mind the eBay had all the US and Europe maps pre loaded with a 1 year free map download subscription free. Definately go for the 920 or 920T model as it has all the bells and whistles on it. If you note the NZ Tomtom website will try to sell you the lower 720 model for $699 so the deal on eBay is great !!!

I bought the unit from this guy and was here in a week

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-TOMTOM-GO-92...1713.m153.l1262

Link to Tomtom is http://www.tomtom.com/

Maps is http://www.tomtom.com/products/maps/select...ge=8&D=1070

cost for NZ map was $AUS 150 but bear in mind the eBay had all the US and Europe maps pre loaded with a 1 year free map download subscription free. Definately go for the 920 or 920T model as it has all the bells and whistles on it. If you note the NZ Tomtom website will try to sell you the lower 720 model for $699 so the deal on eBay is great !!!

Do you know what the difference is between the 920 and 920T? On amazon.com 920 is selling for $350 and 920T is for $414, so I'm seriously considering the 920, because even with the price of the map, it is still within budget!

Do you know what the difference is between the 920 and 920T? On amazon.com 920 is selling for $350 and 920T is for $414, so I'm seriously considering the 920, because even with the price of the map, it is still within budget!

I only got the T model as I am in EU for a month later this year and wanted the Traffic info. It gives you another dongle you hang off the unit which gives you up to the minute traffic warnings like accidents or traffic build ups on motorways so that you can hit the "alternative route" button. You probably won't need it and not worth the extra $.

Beware that Amazon won't send electronic goods to NZ. You will get thru the process then it will tell you (I know from trying it). The eBay guy I dealt with was trustworthy and good to deal with compared with other eBay traders I have used. He had the 920 model as well as the 920T.

Just landed one of these too. fits well and is more discrete than the window holder.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-Vent-CUSTOM-SWIVEL...1713.m153.l1262