Sign in to follow this  
silly

M20/2.7 build Fuel pump

Am building a M20 to 2.7ltre using eta crank 2ltre rods etc . Have purcahsed hi capacity injectors from Irelands as their advice is that the std ones ae only giood for 180hp.

Question is do I need a higher capacity fuel pump too?

Brendan

std ones ae only giood for 180hp.

Question is do I need a higher capacity fuel pump too?

Brendan

lol, they'd do anything for a sale.

For a 2.7 wouldn't think so unless you plan on chucking a turbo in it at some point or the old ones worn out.

lol, they'd do anything for a sale.

For a 2.7 wouldn't think so unless you plan on chucking a turbo in it at some point or the old ones worn out.

Hi

Could be right on the sale but they are cheaper than here even with the freight cost and I need some new ones anyway. Nope no turbos or boy racer gear- replaced the old pump last year when it conked out

Hi

Could be right on the sale but they are cheaper than here even with the freight cost and I need some new ones anyway. Nope no turbos or boy racer gear- replaced the old pump last year when it conked out

standard one will be fine for a 2.7.

you're assuming its gonna be over 180hp....how are you doing the build?

They are correct on the injectors, the standard ones flow bugger all. With a Schrick cam, a bit of porting and a custom chip or aftermarket ECU you should be good for 200-220hp and around 200ft.lbs torque. Exhaust manifold and throttle bodies will add even more power.

They are correct on the injectors, the standard ones flow bugger all. With a Schrick cam, a bit of porting and a custom chip or aftermarket ECU you should be good for 200-220hp and around 200ft.lbs torque. Exhaust manifold and throttle bodies will add even more power.

Conrod, would aftermarket ECU make a big difference for full throttle over a custom chip? i gather removing the AFM would increase throttle response but not necessarily change power figures, that comes from the fuel and timing which a custom chip can do?

what manifold would you recommend in NZ? many custom manifolds seem fairly basic and not really that great - I know the BTB ones over here have a dyno proven 18hp (SAE corrected for the flywheel) and around the same amount of torque, but they are not cheap.

Conrod, would aftermarket ECU make a big difference for full throttle over a custom chip? i gather removing the AFM would increase throttle response but not necessarily change power figures, that comes from the fuel and timing which a custom chip can do?

what manifold would you recommend in NZ? many custom manifolds seem fairly basic and not really that great - I know the BTB ones over here have a dyno proven 18hp (SAE corrected for the flywheel) and around the same amount of torque, but they are not cheap.

Not sure how much difference removing the AFM makes on an M20, a friend removed the AFM on an M30, mapped it on an Autronic, REFITTED the AFM and Motronic, and it made the same power! It all depends how much of a restriction it is on the intake, on the M30 the throttle body/inlet manifold is restrictive I would guess.

I don't know of any exhaust manifolds available in NZ, except custom, and they aren't cheap either!

Conrad

Apparently there is ~12% gain in HP thru using an aftermarket ECU (megasquirt; and dyno proven) and with similar torque gains on an m20.

The HotTuning exhaust manifolds seem to be a cheap alternative to BTB, replica's of good quality (apparently). Still expensive by the time you get it here tho, especially for NA.

I'm about to order a set of BTM race headers as soon as I can get someone else inteterested in buying another set. Cost of one set is 700 pounds vesus 400 pounds if 2 set ordered, plus savings in freight. I can get 2 sets landed in Wellington for $1,600 NZD including duty & GST.

I'm about to order a set of BTM race headers as soon as I can get someone else inteterested in buying another set. Cost of one set is 700 pounds vesus 400 pounds if 2 set ordered, plus savings in freight. I can get 2 sets landed in Wellington for $1,600 NZD including duty & GST.

Thanks Guys

for those who are interested spec for the engine is the one off E30zone stickys post with Eta Cast Iron Crank lightened, 8.8:1 Mahle pistons. Hartge m2.3 conrods shot peened Std M20 Head gas flowed with Shrick 272 deg cam s/s longlife extractors std throttle body, Map ECU, K&N filter HD custom clutch . Engine fully balanced top to bottom to clutch pressure plate and drive train.

Brendan

Thanks Guys

for those who are interested spec for the engine is the one off E30zone stickys post with Eta Cast Iron Crank lightened, 8.8:1 Mahle pistons. Hartge m2.3 conrods shot peened Std M20 Head gas flowed with Shrick 272 deg cam s/s longlife extractors std throttle body, Map ECU, K&N filter HD custom clutch . Engine fully balanced top to bottom to clutch pressure plate and drive train.

Brendan

sounds good except for the CR, why not 10:1 or 11:1, seems a waste to spend all though dough on a low compression engine! I think the 272 cam is very mild too.

sounds good except for the CR, why not 10:1 or 11:1, seems a waste to spend all though dough on a low compression engine! I think the 272 cam is very mild too.

Gidday Conrod.

Yes could have gone higher compression pistons but whats the point? 8.8:1 will give a 9.4:1CR because of the extra 49.8cc of fuel/air mix to compress. Thats fine and wont stress the head or gear.The engine is basically a torque engine for a fast road car which I want for mid range punch with a very smooth power delivery but is still ultra drivable at the low end and therefore still has reasonable economy.

Re the Cam selection . I researched this very carefully.-Std M20 cam is 258or 260 deg I think .The 272 cam is a balance between top end power and mid range torque and day to day driveability. Torque is what makes you go fast . For a road car you want mid range passing power not top end speed. Wilder 285 or 304 cams are just tiring to put up with for road use and are better suited to the track.

My engine builder estimates engine will put out 220+ HP wont have torque figures until we fine tune on the dyno

Brendan

This might be of interest to you: click

He is a member on here; boydusM325i

Sounds very similar to your build.

This might be of interest to you: click

He is a member on here; boydusM325i

Sounds very similar to your build.

Hi Ant

Yeah heard about Boyd from a friend - quite a lot of work eh- and $ too,

thanks

Brendan