Sign in to follow this  
tonylauno1

e39 autobox - rough upshift and delayed downshift

First problem

=========

Shifting from 1 to 2 is rough, it gives you a real jolt like being pushed from behind and a loud thump.

Only happens in medium acceleration. I could accelerate very very slowly to build up speed or pedal to the metal then it shifts better. Especially bad in the cold when going to work in morning and revs would climb much higher before shifting into second too.

It use to be fine and when this started to happen, I got a transmission flush, added a bottle of Wurth and it still didn't help. One morning I got "Trans failsafe prog" so the mechanic reset engine & trans adaptation, that help a little, the thump & jolt is still there but not as bad; you still feel it but it's not like being pushed from behind. Has anyone experienced this before?

Second problem

===========

Kick down used to happen instantly when I put my foot down or after I slow down to take a corner. Now days it seems to pause for a moment and let the revs climbs before shifting down. It has gotten better with a bottle of Wurth. I had the same problem with an old Honda and Motor Up's Transmission treatment solve it. I am wondering if that can go into a BMW's autobox. People say it's the seal which is leaking that is why revs climb higher to gain enough pressure in chamber to downshift.

These two issues really gets to me as it defeats the purposes of having the e39. Sure it is a luxury car but these two problems with autobox have made it less than comfortable. I even found myself taking a Japanese car with a smooth autobox over this e39.