Sign in to follow this  
tibbs.james

Urethane Rear Suspension Bushings

Hi Guys

Had Urethane bushings in my E30 for a couple of months now.

the Rear control arms seem to be making a quite loud creaking noise when the arm is moving up or down & they seem to be really noisy.(I checked this by removing a rear wheel and jacking up the arm and listening to it)

The control arm bolts were all torqued up as per Factory specs.

Is this a lubrication issue or are these bushings just ment to be really noisy?

They are the Ireland Engineering type.

Just noisy.

Did you lube them up real good with the proper grease they would have given you?

It does wear off after a bit mine squeak like crazy but do their job. They are nice and stiff.. You'll also notice a good thud when the rears go over a cat eye on the road! ^_^ Did you do camber and toe adjusters?

lube them up (both outside and inside the bushing and mounting rod) with cooper anti-seize (I reoommend Wurth) as recommended by all major polybush manufacturers - the noise will go away.

Edited by M3_Power

I used all the supplied lube that came with them, they seem to do their job just fine & are nice and stiff which is great, Its just an annoying noise.

I will try the Wurth Copper Anti Sieze, only it might be a little while before i have to remove the arms ect and get it done.

Will this be a problem if i don't get to it for a while ?

quite often it pays to scuff up the working surfaces with coarse sand paper, clean really well then apply a liberal dose of grease whether it is coppercoat or preferably a litium disulfide grease and make sure that you really work the grease into rubbers. Unfortunately urethane doesnt have any lubricating qualities unlike rubber....if its squeaking its gonna fail quicker than a cheap second hand part, and you just spent the cash to fix it 'proper' with the 'right' parts.......