Sign in to follow this  
SIKE30

Which oil for m10?

Hi guys thanks for all the help with my past questions. hehe I have another one.

I have a e30 318i with a m10. i recently did a oil change on my cr and in tha past i always used castrol gtx with half a bootle of moreys.But this time i used Penzoil older engine oil which was 25w 60. Now when the kar is on i get this burnt oil smell but the oil level hasnt dropped even abit. What oil should I use?

ahh 10 points for using moreys! good stuff that..

Maybe you have accidently spilt a bit of oil on the exhaust manifold while you were pouring it in? That would burn and you would get the smell inside the car, but it will go away eventually (speaking from experience, I always use a funnel now)

unless your using oil i'd just run a mineral 20w50, I don't see the need for anything flash on those old motors.

Oh yeah that penzoil stuff im using is mineral. but 25w 60 isnt to thick is it?

Depends on how tired the engine is. It's possibly a bit thick - the manual probably says 20W50 (I have checked - I can't remember).

Oh yeah that penzoil stuff im using is mineral. but 25w 60 isnt to thick is it?

I wouldn't be using it either unless you had done up around 300000km or you're smoking or loosing oil

oh ok hmmm then ill change the oil this weeekend before any damage happen because my cars only done 180,000km . by the way what oil do you guys use in your m10s? like who makes 20w 50? thanks guys

Edited by SIKE30

oh ok hmmm then ill change the oil this weeekend before any damage happen because my cars only done 180,000km . by the way what oil do you guys use in your m10s? like who makes 20w 50? thanks guys

I use Penrite HPR15, but I race mine and want the greater protection for hot oil. In any case I have an oil pressure gauge and unless the oil is extremely hot (ie end of a race) I have heaps and heaps of pressure (when hot I merely have heaps).

At 180k km I'd use a good brand 20W50, and don't get a synthetic as on an engine that old it is more likely to leak.

sweet as thank you for your help. Ive seen castrol makes a 20w50 gtx i think ill try that.

that will be fine, or any other brand such as shell, mobil, or penzzoil

edit: I wouldn't be in a huge rush to change it, I can't see the 25w60 doing any immediate damage

Edited by Mike

I may have missed the boat on this one but camb's suggestion is right on. Unless your engine is seriously worn a 15w 40, 50, or 60 would be the best bet. The Penrite HPR 10 or 15 are good options and semi synthetic. Don't add anything else (like moreys, motor up etc), you'll just be spoiling the good oil you've just put in. Get a genuine BMW filter, they are cheaper then Supercheap auto!

Remember if your engine isn't using an abnormal amount of oil and you don't drive an M car or similar, it's our climate that determines the grade of oil.

Cheers.