Sign in to follow this  
tcbaurpower

M20B25 Engine Timing

Hello,

I am now about to put the engine back together starting with a new water pump, tensioner and timing belt. The issue is that i think the crank has turned while i have shifted the motor how do i make sure it is all lined up. I can see the marks on the block etc and i dont think the cam has moved. Would i need any specific tools? I have read the thread about an M40 engine is it similar?

Any info would be greatly appreciated because i would like to get it done this weekend. :)

Another question, if i was to get the timing checked after the engine is in the car would this be big job?

Cheers.

Engine is straight forward to time....

Align mark on crank belt drive gear with mark on timing cover - at about the 1 oclock position

Align cam gear mark with mark on head - L/H side of head - near top

No special tools

Much easier to time it up before fitting to car.

Edit:

To adjust belt - fit tensioner, release & lock. Rotate crank two full revolutions clockwise (engine rotation), recheck marks are aligning. Loosen tensioner bolts again to allow retension then retighten bolts.

Edited by hotwire

Thanks Hotwire,

It didnt sound hard but the long winded descriptions and mention of special tools etc made me doubt the logic that it was as simple as line up the marks and tighten the belt correctly. Some pictures might help others as well, i will take some as i do it.

Cheers.