Sign in to follow this  
vanos

W.O.F.

Gidday. To W.O.F. (recheck) my 1996 323i (e36) I need to attend to a worn R/H steering tie rod and the windscreen washer is not distributing water to the screen. When I pull the activator arm on the steering column there is no sound from the washer motor and no water comes out. I have checked for blockages in the hoses and jets. I have also checked for blown fuses. I don't want my mechanic to begin a wild/golden goose chase. Has anyone else had a similar repair task? Any suggestions on how to save time in diagnostics are welcome. Would a scan maybe pick something up?

Thanks in advance.

Is the washer pump actually wired up (connector snug on the terminals)? If it is, you might have a dead pump (assuming there is power getting to the pump). If there is no power getting to the pump, the problem is elsewhere... You can check if power is getting to the pump by connecting a 12V bulb in place of the pump and trying it (bulb should light up if it is getting power). Or use a multimeter or test light.

It is just a matter of deduction and eliminating possibilities. Washer pumps are normally pretty robust but have been known to crack under the influence of washer fluid - leading to corrosion of terminals or failure of the motor etc. Worst case scenario is you have to get an auto sparky to look into it.

As elmarco said, test the connector with a multimeter if you can. That said, I'd say the pump died. Happened to me last time. Replacing it is very simple - hardest part would be the clamp on the hose. Get a new clamp and new washer if you can or the new one might leak.