Sign in to follow this  
1rotty

Best way to get nice exhaust from my 540

I'd like to get my 98 540 sounding a bit gruntier.Any suggestions for a relatively inexpensive mod would be appreciated.Are there any pitfalls.I'd really like to bring twin pipes out both sides.The existing system is in excellent nick.

I'd like to get my 98 540 sounding a bit gruntier.Any suggestions for a relatively inexpensive mod would be appreciated.Are there any pitfalls.I'd really like to bring twin pipes out both sides.The existing system is in excellent nick.

Pitfalls:

1. Cost

2. You will always loose something (money + increased noise level = both negatives in my opinion)

3. New exhaust noise level laws - check them carefully.

Use you existing muffler, cut it open and get someone to rebuild it internally. Get it welded up nicely.

Then you won't get nailed by the new Audible exhaust laws.

Use you existing muffler, cut it open and get someone to rebuild it internally. Get it welded up nicely.

Then you won't get nailed by the new Audible exhaust laws.

Now I haven't got a Beemer (yet!), but how difficult is this? I mean I imagine the welding is pretty straightforward (well, for a welder anyway lol), but what about the interior bits- piping, fibreglass etc?

I was thinking of getting this done to my car- Coby headers, modified cat and bigger exhaust pipes with the muffler interior hollowed out, but when I saw the pics of the inside of different mufflers, it made me wonder whether the cost of getting the muffler done would exceed the cost of getting a new muffler instead!

Edited by Sick Puppy