Sign in to follow this  
frc18

Newby from ChCh, need a new stereo

HI All

New around here, have a 1999 e46 and am after a factory stereo. Current one can't be reprogrammed to our frequency cos it's a jap import I think?? If anyone's got anything suitable let me know.

HI All

New around here, have a 1999 e46 and am after a factory stereo. Current one can't be reprogrammed to our frequency cos it's a jap import I think?? If anyone's got anything suitable let me know.

Just chuck a Band Expander in??

Im pretty sure there is a way to sort it out, flick Jochen, Hotwire or hybrid a PM, they're the guru's.

Welcome mate :) After a certain year the E46 radio would have a world tuner. A search should turn up some results as it's been discussed before.

HI All

If the car was 2001 or newer you could reprogram it.

But in a 1999 car you must swap the Jap stereo for a NZ / Euro model one

Loads for sale on ebay.de or ebay.com

You have a 1999 car, so the radio will be an old-generation (OG) radio, with main connector with round (not flat) pins. With the correct radio, it is plug and play. No security code required.

Make sure you get the right type of replacement radio otherwise you will suffer poor FM perfomance as the way the diversity antenna system works changed in 2001.

Fitting a >2001 radio in < 1999 car requires swapping the antenna amplifier for a >2001 antenna amp as well.

Edited by jochen

Suggest ebay as Jochen mentioned. I got my new one there and it works well.

Just make sure it is a world tuner model that can be reprogrammed.