Sign in to follow this  
camera doctor

Help with Power Sources in dash etc

OK,

I have my 1996 Ex Japan 540i in bits at the moment, in the process of installing a Harmon Kardon Drive + Play iPod kit.

I have the centre console ( gearstick area ) dismantled and he 4:3 screen Headunit etc out. ( Gee these cars are well put together - pulled lots of Jappa's apart, and this thing is built WAY better! - Harder to get apart though! )

I need +12 V Constant

+ 12v ACC

Ground

Was hoping to get these from the 'Head Unit' wiring, as it seems the HK control unit will fit behind the display assy, but with the BMW connectors, it is really hard to trace with a multimeter, and after a couple of hours on the Net, getting nowhere - here I am!

So, can some body help me out, an let me know where an easy source of those are, preferably in the areas I already have apart! --- The unit has a2 Amp fuse, so current will not be too high.

TIA

in the e34 there is a power supply to the glovebox for a rechargeable torch...maybe the e39 as well?

in the e34 there is a power supply to the glovebox for a rechargeable torch...maybe the e39 as well?

Yep there is.

OK,

I have my 1996 Ex Japan 540i in bits at the moment, in the process of installing a Harmon Kardon Drive + Play iPod kit.

I have the centre console ( gearstick area ) dismantled and he 4:3 screen Headunit etc out. ( Gee these cars are well put together - pulled lots of Jappa's apart, and this thing is built WAY better! - Harder to get apart though! )

I need +12 V Constant

+ 12v ACC

Ground

Was hoping to get these from the 'Head Unit' wiring, as it seems the HK control unit will fit behind the display assy, but with the BMW connectors, it is really hard to trace with a multimeter, and after a couple of hours on the Net, getting nowhere - here I am!

So, can some body help me out, an let me know where an easy source of those are, preferably in the areas I already have apart! --- The unit has a2 Amp fuse, so current will not be too high.

Didn't I send you the complete retrofit instructions for the nav?

That has the full nav system wiring diagram and clearly shows all the power feeds. Including all wire colours and functions. Dead easy.

Didn't I send you the complete retrofit instructions for the nav?

That has the full nav system wiring diagram and clearly shows all the power feeds. Including all wire colours and functions. Dead easy.

No, not me :) Must be confusing me with someone else.

If you have that diagram handy, it would be appreciated!

TIA

OK, PM me your email address.

In the mean time:

On-board-monitor power connections

Violet with white stripe is 12V accessory (terminal R)

Red with green stripe is 12V battery (terminal 30)

Brown with red stripe is the LCD ground

Brown is normal ground

Sorry to Hijack your thread.But is that charging point in the glovebox only on when the key is in the ACC position?Want to hardwire my GPS shiz in and that seems like a tidy place to splice into.

If I cut it in half would there be a ACC and a ground in there that I could splice into?

Sorry to Hijack your thread.But is that charging point in the glovebox only on when the key is in the ACC position?Want to hardwire my GPS shiz in and that seems like a tidy place to splice into.

If I cut it in half would there be a ACC and a ground in there that I could splice into?

Charging connection is permanent power.

There are loads of switched power sources in the dash. Switched power is generally violet with a white or red stripe.

You could just tap into a fused feed in the fusebox above the glovebox.

Tell me what car (model / year) and I can point you to where to go.

It's an 1996 E39 520i.

Yes before I read this I multimetred it and its constant.Lame.

Is there another point which is easy to access somewhere behind the glovebox area as I REALLY don't want to start ripping the dash apart as I'm sure to put it back together with a few bolts/screws/clips/panels left over :D

It's an 1996 E39 520i.

Yes before I read this I multimetred it and its constant.Lame.

Is there another point which is easy to access somewhere behind the glovebox area as I REALLY don't want to start ripping the dash apart as I'm sure to put it back together with a few bolts/screws/clips/panels left over :D

The fuseholder drops downa nd it's dead easy to access all the fused connections behind the fuseholder. Just decide which circuit you want to tap into - and use that.

any particular fuse you recomend tapping into?ie the number?

Otherwise it'll be more multimeter loving

any particular fuse you recomend tapping into?ie the number?

Otherwise it'll be more multimeter loving

Use your eyes. Fuses with violtet wires = switched power.

F37 through F45 are all live in Pos1 (Acc), Pos2 (Ign) and Start

Choose one with a sensible fuse rating for your device.

Jochen,

Thanks for your help thus far - I have the Harmon Karden Drive + Play all wired up and working. I decided to use the tape deck wiring for the sound input, but as others have mentioned, it is quiet!

After browsing USA E39 forums, it seems I have two options - a 'Headphone Amp' or a line driver - what are your thoughts?

For the Headphone amp, options include DIY CMoy type or something like FiiO

For line driver, it seems the Phoenix Gold TLD22 is the choice ( although cannot find for sale in NZ )

Line Driver

Your thoughts would be appreciated, I wondered if the headphone amp would not be powerful enough and maybe the line driver would be too powerful?

Thanks

Greg