Sign in to follow this  
pjay

Foglights aint working?

Have had brand new bulbs in the fogs for just under 4 months. The other day, i noticed they are not working!

Have checked front fog fuse's, 15 and 22 i think by memory, and the fuses 'look' ok. Nothing comes up on the computer to tell me theyre out, they just dont switch on. The bulbs are both ok.

Only happened after the w/e of heavy rain, don't know if this is just coincidence though.

Help :blink:

Have had brand new bulbs in the fogs for just under 4 months. The other day, i noticed they are not working!

Have checked front fog fuse's, 15 and 22 i think by memory, and the fuses 'look' ok. Nothing comes up on the computer to tell me theyre out, they just dont switch on. The bulbs are both ok.

Only happened after the w/e of heavy rain, don't know if this is just coincidence though.

Help :blink:

does the E36 suffer problems with The LKM like the e34????(a question to 3 series gurus and pewrhaps a pointer to the problem)

Try swapping the fuses? Some wiring may have been exposed and some water might have shorted it out.

The computer will not tell you anything if the fogs are out.

Guest Simon*

Try swapping the fuses? Some wiring may have been exposed and some water might have shorted it out.

The computer will not tell you anything if the fogs are out.

The OBC in the E34 always tells me when a fog is out - used to get bloody annoying at times actually :)

Grab a multimeter and pull the switch apart test it etc and trace back to the lights from there.

Should find your problem

Grab a multimeter and pull the switch apart test it etc and trace back to the lights from there.

Should find your problem

Mmm thats what i was saving for the w/e. Was hoping for a quick fix. Darn

does the E36 suffer problems with The LKM like the e34????(a question to 3 series gurus and pewrhaps a pointer to the problem)

No, because the E36 does not have an LKM.

The fog light control is simple: a switch controls a relay. The relay switches the power to the fog lights.

Edited by jochen

You don't state what model/year car you have.

So I'll assume a 1999 E36.

When the main light switch S8 is in Park or Headlights, then it supplies 12V power to the foglight switch S10.

When the foglight switch S10 is on it supplies 12V power to the fog light relay K47.

The fog light relay K47 switches on and supplies power to fuse F15 (7.5A) in the front power distribution box P90.

The power feed goes from fuse F15 to the 2 x front fog lights and also the indicator light in the dash.

Diagnosis:

If the dash indicator light comes on, the switch and relay and fuse and power distribution are all OK. In this case, check the wiring on the actual bulbs, their common earth point, and check the bulb contacts themselves.

If the dash indicator does not light, then check fuse F15 (7.5A) is OK.

Check also relay K47 (located in left rear side of engine bay in the power distribution box) - try swapping with another relay temporarily. Make sure the relay gives a 'click' when turned on and off, have someone else switch fog lights on and off while you touch and listen to the relay.

If the relay doesn't click, check the actual fog light switch itself with a multimeter

Should be very easy to find the fault.

Of course, if you don't have a 1999 E36 then the above may not apply. State what car you have and then I can help further.

Edited by jochen

Thanks mate, its a 1995

Same as 1999 E36 :-) I can send you the wiring diagram to help in diagnosis if you want.

PM me your email address.