Sign in to follow this  
535er

involved in an accident

Looked through the 2007 road code and could not find ANYTHING about this situation. ??

they have only just recently enforcing it, might be in the 2008 BUT in saying that, ive looked in the road code online, still found nothing, so i'm stumped on that one too

Meh

ChCh must be retarded to not have arrows at lights, wouldn't surprise me if this type of accident happens more often. Still a case of the give way rule. Doesn't matter if she had green or orange. If you crossed her path then you are in the wrong. If you were green and she was red it would be another story.

She has the argument that it wasn't safe to stop in time for the amber signal so kept going.

This just shows that those ad's on t.v about the decisions you make at intersections can be deadly.

Bad luck mate.

I disagree with that. I believe the rule (in the road code) says that you MAY NOT enter an intersection if your path through is blocked by STATIONARY traffic, (not moving traffic) I will be very interested to see how this pans out, as obviously there is a lot of confusion surrounding this part.I could be wrong though! Anyone got a road code handy?

It is called the "Intersection Blocking Rule"

"You must not go into or attempt to cross the intersection, railway level crossing, pedestrian crossing or an area controlled by pedestrian traffic signals, unless there is space for your vehicle on the other side of the intersection or crossing."

To 535er, to me it sounds like you were turning across oncoming traffic. If that is the case, then the accident was your fault as you made the maneuver without ascertaining that it was safe to proceed. Her attempting to "beat" the yellow was a contributory factor, but you still crossed into the path of oncoming traffic.

the thing is, she could have stopped safely which she didn't even bother trying, just kept coming at me.

Sort of thing that is very very aggravating - it's like running down a pedestian because they didn't use a crossing. I feel for you. However if the cops issuesd her a ticket they must think she was in the wrong, so you must be in the right. They can't have it both ways can they? (unless there were some ticket targets to meet).

It is called the "Intersection Blocking Rule"

"You must not go into or attempt to cross the intersection, railway level crossing, pedestrian crossing or an area controlled by pedestrian traffic signals, unless there is space for your vehicle on the other side of the intersection or crossing."

To 535er, to me it sounds like you were turning across oncoming traffic. If that is the case, then the accident was your fault as you made the maneuver without ascertaining that it was safe to proceed. Her attempting to "beat" the yellow was a contributory factor, but you still crossed into the path of oncoming traffic.

Then why did she get a ticket?

Then why did she get a ticket?

because you are supposed to stop at an amber light if it is unsafe to do so,not ry to beat it.Are there cameras at this intersection?

However if the cops issuesd her a ticket they must think she was in the wrong, so you must be in the right. They can't have it both ways can they? (unless there were some ticket targets to meet).

It sounds like they were both in the wrong. Her for going through an amber (unless she can prove that it was unsafe to stop) and 535er for turning into the path of an oncoming vehicle. In this case the cops could/should ticket both as they both infringed on traffic laws. Which was the greater cause of the accident is pretty much up to the insurance company to decide, unless they choose to proceed to court.

Put the colour of the traffic lights aside, roadcode states when turning....

do a thorough check for other vehicles – in front, behind and to the sides (using your mirrors both inside and outside the vehicle)

signal for at least three seconds

turn when safe.

... and couple more

I reckon you are in the wrong for turning while the traffic is not clear.

Sourced from...

http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/roadcode/...ng/turning.html

ok for a start, chch isnt hickville, :lol: we do have arrows at our lights, where so advanced down here we even have lights just for busses! big green B's, but like all citys, not every set of lights has arrows...

also, quite alot of you may not have seen some of chch's drivers, if the light turns yellow, and u think u can make it... u may... but the 15 cars behind you will also make it... chch has mental drivers,

i go through this set of lights quite alot, and its easy too see around and easy to judge distance..

if the light goes orange, and cars are turning, your ment to give way (consitering their in the middle of the road) but most people dont give a $hit.

i was turning there once and a little asian lady with a L plate was turning in aswell, (coming from the opposite direction) so she had to give way.. i started going and then she turned the indercator off and came straight for me!!

i slamed on the brake and planted the horn... yelled a few things out the window... then noticed she was on the phone too...

this happens alot, when i was going do defencive driving, i was going around from bealey to fitzy, and in the turning lane from firzy to bealey there was about 7 cars bumper to bumper all smacked into each other...

by what ive heard, and ive seen the intersection and know what chch drivers are like, i think 535er has done nothing wrong, but prooving it to the police/courts is a different story...

it was green when I pulled up to the intersection. Lights turned orange, waited for the first car then began my turn. Noticed the other car a wee distance back wasnt stopping, slammed on my brakes, slammed on hers and collected me at a good pace. Lights turned red pretty much as she hit me

there are no arrows at that intersection, just your normal. Like I say, I was waiting in the middle of the intersection (first car in the cue) the lights turned orange, waited for the first car, I began my turn, noticed she wasn't stopping I stopped she slammed on her brakes and plowed into me. Fact of the matter is, she had time to stop. There was a good 4 or so second gap between her and the other car. Orange light had come on just before the car in front of her

so far ive got...

-Light was green when you pulled up, changed to orange.

-1st car drove through (while light was orange)

-2nd car wasnt stopping

-light was red when she hit you.

-there was about a 4 second gap between the 1st and 2nd car.

so.. if she was following in the same lane as the 1st guy, with a following distance of 4 seconds, if the 1st car stopped, would she of hit them? or stopped?

if the 1st car was going through the orange, and she was this distance behind, she had PLENTY of time to stop! 4 seconds? veyron takes 10 seconds to stop from 400kph! (takes about 2km of track.. but still...)

I reckon you are in the wrong for turning while the traffic is not clear.

have you ever seen a green light go orange from about 150M away? then thought to your self, ill make it, and just keep going?!? Basicly thats what this lady did, and if 535er is in the wrong for that, id hate it if you were a judge!

have you ever seen a green light go orange from about 150M away? then thought to your self, ill make it, and just keep going?!? Basicly thats what this lady did, and if 535er is in the wrong for that, id hate it if you were a judge!

Sure, the lady might be in the wrong by (allegely) running yellow/red, but 535er is in the wrong for making a turn when the traffic is not clear nor safe. As far as insurance is concerned, 535er doesn't have a good case to me. You never know.