Sign in to follow this  
advantex

Car been sitting for about a year

Just looking for some tips... The E34 I bought had been sitting for almost a year and not driven a lot because (I suspect) the guy who owned could not afford to get it repaired. It has now been repaird (suspension, brakes, wipers, washer and a few other odd items). It is due for a full service and it may have been due for a service for quite some time.

Are there any other things I should have done/ checked while I am on the go (apart from the obvious)?

How was your wee road trip?-sorry couldnt make it. Would be good to meet sometime tho.Always keen for excuse 4 a blast & a beer & a bit of bullshit.

Sorry, Im not up with the history of your purchase but I would check/replace coolant and other fluids, hoses, belts (including cambelt) oil and filter (regardless of km's since last change), lubricate all hinges and door locks and sunroof if you have one, check battery fluid level, and finally take it for a good long drive.

How was your wee road trip?-sorry couldnt make it. Would be good to meet sometime tho.Always keen for excuse 4 a blast & a beer & a bit of bullshit.

Awsome!!! Found out why everyone likes the E34. Corners like a cat - and you don't have to work for it, it just does it naturally! Beers were good, food was good, sun was shining. Became the meat in a Nissan sandwich on the way back... that was a lot of fun! I think we all learned a lot about our cars that day.

Will be checking mail for offense(ive) material. Cheers, would be good to catch up. Away next weekend, but you make the call and I be there! I love to drive this thing.

David

Sorry, Im not up with the history of your purchase but I would check/replace coolant and other fluids, hoses, belts (including cambelt) oil and filter (regardless of km's since last change), lubricate all hinges and door locks and sunroof if you have one, check battery fluid level, and finally take it for a good long drive.

thanks, will do.

Long drive done to prove the car weekend just gone. I found the car performs exceptionally well (for an auto). There were no strange sounds (apart from my passegers bum), auto performed flawlessly, had it up over 5krpm with no issue. Aside road bumps, no handling issues I would be concerned about. Temperature stayed steady throughout trip. Re-started after 30sec stop from hot no problem. Engine braking is supurb in sport mode. Acceleration is quick and smooth. Brakes - no shudder anywhere, no steering issues.

I am new to these cars but from experience with other vehicles, I feel this is in good nick mechanically. It 'feels' fine if you know what I mean (been driving for 40years, ya kinda get to know when somethings not right).

This is the first decent and sporty run the car has done for quite some time. I will advise my mechanics of your suggestions. Thanks. I want to keep this car in good condition.

David