Sign in to follow this  
ashok540

Possible to remove headlight cover?

Is it possible to remove just the headlight cover (the outer glass area where the wiper wash falls on) so as to expose the 2 round lights behind? Does this glass serve any purpose? And will the washer fluid create any issues if this is removed? Hate the look of my E39 540i headlight! Want it to look more like the E34 headlights.

Is it possible to remove just the headlight cover (the outer glass area where the wiper wash falls on) so as to expose the 2 round lights behind? Does this glass serve any purpose? And will the washer fluid create any issues if this is removed? Hate the look of my E39 540i headlight! Want it to look more like the E34 headlights.

Quite certain you can't. They are part of the front lens (which is replaceable if yours is old and hazy/pitted), and if you remove it the light will be naked and water can get in. See here: http://www.bmwdiy.info/non-celis-front/index.html

In any case it will look hideous without the front lens, the E39 needs those headlights to suit its rounded shape. I would buy an E34 instead!

Yuen's Right - you definitely can't remove these covers. Depending what year your car is - if pre 2000, you could fit facelift lamps which look more modern. Also agreed - the lights suit the car