Sign in to follow this  
beemn

e30 headlight issue

I have an issue with the head lights on the e30, pull the knob out one click park lights on (no problem there), pull the knob out to the second click and the dips dont come on, checked the bulbs, they are fine, flick on the high beams and they work no problem, also the rear fog lamps dont work, nor does the rear fog lamp light on the dash.....any ideas...i dont think its the light switch knob..if it was the full beams wouldnt work....

got the same problem in the E28 at the moment so let me know what you find Milan. <_<

Milan, do the Hi beams work on normal H beam position or just the flash position? - two different circuits

Has the car still got the lamp fail display - if so does it show dip beam out?

If its like mine Grant, the high and low beams don't work, the park and high flash do.

Dave Im assuming E28 is wired the same, because both beams are no go - probably points to headlight switch itself.

This earths the low beam headlight relay, along with fog light & dip switch to turn them on accordingly.

The headlight flash switches to earth separately.

If Milan has the same symptom - then probably the same applies

If H/Beam works normally - the could well be low beam relay at fault - relay K4 in fusebox

High & low beam lights are all fused separately.

Edited by hotwire

Thanks Grant, will swap in the morning and see how it goes.

EDIT!! Dave,

E28 headlight switching system is opposite - supplies power - but problem quite likely still the same if both beams not working (& fog lights if fitted) but working H/Beam flash.

Let me know if you can't sort it

Dave Im assuming E28 is wired the same, because both beams are no go - probably points to headlight switch itself.

This earths the low beam headlight relay, along with fog light & dip switch to turn them on accordingly.

The headlight flash switches to earth separately.

If Milan has the same symptom - then probably the same applies

If H/Beam works normally - the could well be low beam relay at fault - relay K4 in fusebox

High & low beam lights are all fused separately.

Thanks Grant, will have a peep tomorrow if its not raining!....Champion....

Thanks Grant, will have a peep tomorrow if its not raining!....Champion....

Hi Grant, still cant get the lights to go, swapped the k4 relay withs kens....no change, swapped headlight switch with kens, no change...checked all the fuses, bulds are working (powered them up a different wa to see if it works), replaced the indicator stalk no change (hi beams still work)...no lamp out display for this car.....um what else??

So to recap...i can flash the hi beams no problem with the lights switched off, pull the knob one click park lights work, second click park lights work but no head lamp or rear fog lamps (high beams work), btw rear fog bulbs are fine and the light on the dash to say they are on wont work.....

Thanks in advance fellas....need warrent for the next meeting......couple of dolphin torches do it?

Hi Grant, still cant get the lights to go, swapped the k4 relay withs kens....no change, swapped headlight switch with kens, no change...checked all the fuses, bulds are working (powered them up a different wa to see if it works), replaced the indicator stalk no change (hi beams still work)...no lamp out display for this car.....um what else??

So to recap...i can flash the hi beams no problem with the lights switched off, pull the knob one click park lights work, second click park lights work but no head lamp or rear fog lamps (high beams work), btw rear fog bulbs are fine and the light on the dash to say they are on wont work.....

Thanks in advance fellas....need warrent for the next meeting......couple of dolphin torches do it?

Milan, Check "Low Beam check relay" - located alongside fuses 12-15

Im assuming you are saying high beam working on normal h/b headlight position as well as flash?

Rear fog light - not sure -can't see in wiring diagram from quick look I have had. Will edit when I confirm

Hey Milan, you're not getting the power from the ignition side. When you have your ignition key off you get park lights only, it's not til you turn your key that the main lights work, so seems that that switch isn't working, if you get what I mean. Grant may understand what I'm getting at? That was the problem with the E28.

Hey Milan, you're not getting the power from the ignition side. When you have your ignition key off you get park lights only, it's not til you turn your key that the main lights work, so seems that that switch isn't working, if you get what I mean. Grant may understand what I'm getting at? That was the problem with the E28.

Could be the case if normal high beam (not flash) is not working either. If high beam is working then it can't be ign fault as both relays are fed by the same ign supply - check ign supply is to terminal 86 of K3 & K4 relays

What he's saying Milan, is get your multimeter and pull the K3 and K4 relays, and see which terminal is 86. then put the positive end of the multi in the 86 terminal and earth the other side. With the key off you should have nothing, with the key on you should have 12 volts. Is this right Grant?

What he's saying Milan, is get your multimeter and pull the K3 and K4 relays, and see which terminal is 86. then put the positive end of the multi in the 86 terminal and earth the other side. With the key off you should have nothing, with the key on you should have 12 volts. Is this right Grant?

You oughta be a sparky David ;) Assuming he does have voltage - then back to my first suggestion as likely cause

Edited by hotwire

You oughta be a sparky David ;) Assuming he does have voltage - then back to my first suggestion as likely cause

Sweet, good job for ken!

Hey David, had thought that was the case too but we swapped headlight switch also

Check that anyway, may not be switch, may be power feed somewhere. You need to check that switched power at pin 86 on the relays.

Check that anyway, may not be switch, may be power feed somewhere. You need to check that switched power at pin 86 on the relays.

Will let you know what it was, had it at the auto sparkys this morning, they fixed it now off to get a fresh woof woof