Sign in to follow this  
far4ngn

Key cannot turn in ignition switch

My daughter today called to say that she was stuck at the local shops and her car keys wont turn in the ignition. First thought the steering wheel lock.... but when I got there the steering wheel lock works fine and it'll turn to the first click so the radio comes on then you cannot turn it any further.

I tried the backup set of keys, same issue.. the AA tried and the recovery guy!

So after getting the car towed home and dumped in my garage, I'm wondering what I can do to get this fixed.

I only want one set of keys (yeah I'm picky) so if I need to replace the ignition lock, can BMW supply a matched barrel or do I need to change ALL my locks?

Or any other tips I can try? Its a 1990 BMW E30 318is.

You could try other E30 keys, I read on e30tech that the same key can work for more than one car. I have 3 u can try if u want

gl

ps how much does a tow cost out of interest?

It's the barrel that's the problem, not the key. You could try removing the barrel and seeing if somethings jammed or not?

No tow cost all part of AA...thanks goodness :)

If you turn the ignition to the accessory position, you should be able to see a tiny hole at the end of the ignition cylinder, about 7o'clock under where the key goes in. Push a piece of stiff wire into the hole. That should release the cylinder and it should slide right out.

check this Paul.post-1118-1216465064_thumb.png

Courtesy of realoem.com

Edited by Silver Fox

Well after trying to push all sorts of small metal pieces into the ignition, it finally turned and I could start the car. Problem was I couldnt get the ket back out and it would only turn back to the Aux position.

This morning after reading several articles on the internet...if your key gets stuck waggle the steering wheel and move the key...hey presto, key released.

Problem now is I'm back in the same postion only getting to Aux then unable to turn further.

After much help from David (Silver Fox), I tried to remove the barrel again this time with a bent over paper clip, thinking that the last few things I've tried may not be strong enough and low and behold the lock slid out.

I tried the screw driver in the hole it left and the ignition can be turned, car starts etc. So its purely the mechanical barrel. I've looked over this and it has a plastic slider that should (I believe) move out as the car is turned, so allowing the move from Aux to start.

Appears that this small plastic piece refuses to move in and out by rotating the key, without my assistance... so somewhere something must help it move either a spring in the barrel or something in the housing..hmm?

Anyway, car is back together...good excuse for another clean whilst I play with the lock :)

BMW advised that they can get me the exact key match for the ignition 130 bucks from Germany...arrives in 2 weeks.

The next installment...BMW are struggling to find the correct part. They have the part number and they have taken pics of the lock...but 4 options available. They will only import one lock at a time, so it could be two months to get it fixed (worst case).

They quoted $1200 to replace all my locks!!

Yowch. Whyd you ask about doing all locks? central locking broke?

You can as an option use a S/H barrell assy & get a locksmith to modify the tumblers to suit your key.

You'd be up & running for $100 max

Yowch. Whyd you ask about doing all locks? central locking broke?

No I'm fussy and only want one key for the car the locking actually works, but I don't like different keys for the locks.

Good idea about the S/H ignition switch Hotwire...I'll ring a few locksmiths.

No I'm fussy and only want one key for the car the locking actually works, but I don't like different keys for the locks.

Good idea about the S/H ignition switch Hotwire...I'll ring a few locksmiths.

i had to do a toyota once,bought a new door lock and the locksmith changed it to work with my existing key