Sign in to follow this  
1rotty

My Black 540 Pix & Mods

Time to post some new photo's of the 97 with new 18's, exhaust & black grill.post-3113-1217841689_thumb.jpgpost-3113-1217843500_thumb.jpgpost-3113-1217843661_thumb.jpgpost-3113-1217843883_thumb.jpg

There has been lots of discussion on exhaust options for the v8's so thought I would share my experiences & the result.

What I was looking for was a nice rumble at idle,a roar when I boot it but most of all NO DRONE!

The result (for me anyway) is perfect.

After sussing a couple of exhaust shops for info & quotes ($440 & $680)I thought Bugger That ! - I'll do it myself.

I really wanted twin outlets that were visible so went for a Powerpro with 3" inlet & twin 2.5" outlets.Went 3" so that we could slipjoint & clamp rather than weld to the stock pipe-In case it sounded like s**t.Also made the install much easier.

We cut the exhaust just to the rear of the back axle & removed the stock muffler & 10 ton resonator-Left everything forward of that intact.

The cost ; $159 + freight from X-racing in Ak via TM $60 for 2 90" bends & clamps.

post-3113-1217844126_thumb.jpgpost-3113-1217844242_thumb.jpgpost-3113-1217844348_thumb.jpgpost-3113-1217844448_thumb.jpgpost-3113-1217844534_thumb.jpgpost-3113-1217844643_thumb.jpgpost-3113-1217844734_thumb.jpg

The grills are DIY too.A bit of etch primer,1500 grit & 5 coats each of black & clear-gotta love spray cans!!

I've gotta mate who's brilliant with airbrush,paint effects etc & he does a mean carbon fibre so I think the next mod's gonna be the wood trim-yeah,I know-so I,m cheap!!!!

Nice DIY, any sound clips?

*edit* grill looks good too, looks like a pro sorted it out, nice.

Edited by Creaver

Nice DIY, any sound clips?

*edit* grill looks good too, looks like a pro sorted it out, nice.

I just got a handle on loading the pix -sound clips I wouldn't have a f**kn clue!

Guest Simon*

Hey dude

It's a good looking job all round. I have a good setup soundwise on my 540 too - you can't help but notice it's a V8 :)

I like what you've done with the kidneys - I've been thinking about doing something similar, as the surrounds are the only chrome on my car.

Looking forward to seeing it in person

Cheers

Si

i was looking at one of those mufflers on my 525i, im worried it might be noisy or sound crap,i dont want it for sound,i bought the car with nice m5 bumper on it but he left stock muffler on an offset downturn and doesnt look good at back of nice bumper so i want the twin pipes sticking out!! you did nice job

i was looking at one of those mufflers on my 525i, im worried it might be noisy or sound crap,i dont want it for sound,i bought the car with nice m5 bumper on it but he left stock muffler on an offset downturn and doesnt look good at back of nice bumper so i want the twin pipes sticking out!! you did nice job

Cheers for the compliment.

I'm not familiar with the 6's exhaust setup.Post a new thread under maintainence & I'm sure the 6 cylinder boys will have plenty of good advice.