Sign in to follow this  
pureboiracer

e30 brake setup. drift project

heya guys.

got the new b25 going in the e30 now. about 1/3 through my drifting project now.

still to come.

mild weight reduction

and a little suprize which i am keeping under wraps for now

to the point.

i have currently got evo 4 brakes on the front of the beast.

for what i want i am going to need to install a hydrolic handbrake and a lock off valve for the rear brakes.

i will need to plumb the handbrake into the line after the lockoff valve so i can use the handbrake for the rear wheels but still have braking for the front

has anyone installed this kind of thing before?

i spoke to sum guys at contour brakes and the recomended instaling a tralier brake cylinder and putting a handle on it.

i have priced up a lock off valve. electronicaly operated. for $170.

does anyone know of any with a beter price. and anyone give me some advise as for where to mount the handbrake etc etc.

cheers oli

LHD but may give you an idea or two regarding mounting.

E30Drifter.com link

Looks like they've used a D2/K-sport style one which i believe are mountable both horizontally and vertically.

If you read the thread the guy doesnt actually like how it works - To be honest I don't think your initally going to need to go aftermarket. Just upgrade the pads/shoes at the rear - I'm sure theres something avalible through Racebrakes which should be more than enough with some good fluid and an adjustment of the factory handbrake.

Pull more weight out and get familar with AE86 style clutch kicks/Scandinavian flicks. Save the handbrake for trimming/maintaining angles not initation.

IMO anyway.

I don't think you want a line locker.

It sounds like you are planning to 'T' the hydraulic handbrake (with it's own reservoir) into the rear line after the Line Locker giving you independent front & rear brakes?

I think you will find, with the rear line unlocked, when you press the brake pedal it will squirt out the hand brake reservoir? Which is not good.

A hydraulic handbrake usually takes the input from the rear output of the master cylinder, ie. it is in series, so it effectively manually 'boosts' the rear brakes as required.

Like in this pic:

Posted Image