Sign in to follow this  
pureboiracer

e12 shift linkage bush

heya guys. the mrs new e12 has a little issue with the gear selector. its sitting on the driveshaft. there should be a little bush that bolts to the body just behind the shifter. like a e30 but its not there. anyone got anything?

Are you missing the whole lot or just the rubber bit? I might have the bracket but my chances of finding it are unfortunately pretty minimal (garage is a bomb site), and the rubber bit was stuffed.

BMW (and other suppliers of BMW parts) will have the rubber bit.

im not sure what im missing. the plate which the selector sits in is still there and the front 2 rubber bits are ok. its just the back one gone. bolt and all.

im not sure what im missing. the plate which the selector sits in is still there and the front 2 rubber bits are ok. its just the back one gone. bolt and all.

Find the pic at www.realoem.com then compare your car to an early E30 one (needs to be early as they changed the shift cradle at some point). That way you can figure out what is missing.

Edited by CamB

Silly questions time.

Is the car fitted with a 4 or 5 speed box?

If it is a 4 speed box, it isnt fitted with the rubber buffer, and the most likely problem is that the shifter plate itself is broken, it fatigues the area arount the top mounts until the plate breaks.

its a five speed box. and i only had a quick glance at it but i will have a proper examination tomorow but it looks like i need 3, 5, 6 and 7