Sign in to follow this  
chucky01

e36 angel eyes installation?

hi guys just bought myself a pair of 1 piece angel eyes.. just wondering if anyones installed some before?.. im wondering what the red and black wires are for (that sort of come out the back near the bottom) and whether they need to be hooked up anywhere?

cheers if you can help me out :D

hi guys just bought myself a pair of 1 piece angel eyes.. just wondering if anyones installed some before?.. im wondering what the red and black wires are for (that sort of come out the back near the bottom) and whether they need to be hooked up anywhere?

cheers if you can help me out :D

i put a set in my coupe and also a set in my mums wagon. they are pretty easy to do, the oem headlights come out easy as - few bolts and retaining clip for indicator. on both sets i found the left side (looking at the front of the car) was a pain to get in both times. No idea why! Then just plug into factory plugs. the black and red wires are for the angel eyes (halo rings) i wired mine and mums into the park lights. if you have two sets of red and black on each light 1 will be for halos and the other for an led light in the lower middle of headlight. hope this helps!

would have thought you would get instructions with them telling you how to fit

Where did you get them from?

i put a set in my coupe and also a set in my mums wagon. they are pretty easy to do, the oem headlights come out easy as - few bolts and retaining clip for indicator. on both sets i found the left side (looking at the front of the car) was a pain to get in both times. No idea why! Then just plug into factory plugs. the black and red wires are for the angel eyes (halo rings) i wired mine and mums into the park lights. if you have two sets of red and black on each light 1 will be for halos and the other for an led light in the lower middle of headlight. hope this helps!

ahhh cool cool thanks.. so .. sorry just to clarify.. when you say wire into the park lights.. you mean i need to somehow splice the wiring on the cars factory wires and then tape it up? or is there some way of doing it without cutting into the factory wires?? :o

would have thought you would get instructions with them telling you how to fit

Where did you get them from?

arrrr.. embarrasing but they were 2nd hand off trademe :P the dude didnt package the instructions so i dropped him an email yesterday but no reply yet and i was eager to get em on for this weekend :o

I installed a set in my coupe a few weeks ago and had the same problem, ie. where do all these wires go, and ended up taking the car to the Auto Electricians. He did the work ok however, he did have to replace the relay. Told me that the standard relay was not the right one for Angel Eyes.

I installed a set in my coupe a few weeks ago and had the same problem, ie. where do all these wires go, and ended up taking the car to the Auto Electricians. He did the work ok however, he did have to replace the relay. Told me that the standard relay was not the right one for Angel Eyes.

hmmm the thought did cross my mind but did he charge an arm and a leg for doing the install?.. im the type of guy who likes to learn and do things hands on..but if its not too bad then i may as well save myself the hassle..incase i blow something up haha.

ahhh cool cool thanks.. so .. sorry just to clarify.. when you say wire into the park lights.. you mean i need to somehow splice the wiring on the cars factory wires and then tape it up? or is there some way of doing it without cutting into the factory wires?? :o

I can't remember exactly, was nearly a year ago! Mine were brand new and came with no instructions. Yea i just 'spliced them into the factory wires using clips. You can get these little blue clips from dick smith (i have no idea what they are called) But you use them and then there is no need to cut any wires at all - they clip around you originals wires. There are 4 wires (can't remember colours) but 1 is for parks, 1 is for dip, 1 is for full and the last is either positive or negative (someone correct me!) but basicly you need to work out with a meter whch one is for parks and which is the 'neutral/power' then wire into those two accordingly. If your unsure just put the headlights in - you'll have dip and full lights with the factory plugs, and get an auto sparky or someone with a small amount of elec knowledge to wire in the angels. I'll try adn check colours of wires tonight for you - however they may be different from car to car....???

Edited by bmpower

Just checked my car at lunch and the 4 wires are coloured as follws:

Purple/Yellow

Brown

Blue/White

Green/Yellow

My red wires from headlights are fed into the Puple/yellow factory wire and my black ones are fed into the factory brown wire.

Mine have been wired up like this for a year and never had any issues, apart from one headlight that every now and again decides not to work on dip - which is fixed by a small bang on the headlight, haha, haven't had a chance to look at it, and it doesn't happen very often anyway!

Hope this helps!

Kerry.

hmmm the thought did cross my mind but did he charge an arm and a leg for doing the install?.. im the type of guy who likes to learn and do things hands on..but if its not too bad then i may as well save myself the hassle..incase i blow something up haha.

Total cost was $60.00

Just checked my car at lunch and the 4 wires are coloured as follws:

Purple/Yellow

Brown

Blue/White

Green/Yellow

My red wires from headlights are fed into the Puple/yellow factory wire and my black ones are fed into the factory brown wire.

Mine have been wired up like this for a year and never had any issues, apart from one headlight that every now and again decides not to work on dip - which is fixed by a small bang on the headlight, haha, haven't had a chance to look at it, and it doesn't happen very often anyway!

Hope this helps!

Kerry.

lol awesome thanks for your help those dicksmith things sound like the way to go and if i stuff up (although it seems hard to do so if is as simple as clipping) then i'll go down the auto sparky :lol:

my car looks surprisingly like your red one (GO THE REDS!) so i'll post a pic once i have em in :P