Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

Slight noise

This is only audible @ idle RPM - but there is s slight knock & I've been told its coming from the Vanos. The truck is going in next week to have the CAM sensor replaced as it's apparently faulty.

The mechanic told me that to remove the noise would require a new cam/head which is stupid, it's not a bad noise, & I'm also told its very common with VANOS engines & the V8's, however there's apparently a product called mbl8 or something? that would perhaps remove the noise?

Or motorup?

Has anyone been down these tracks before?

MBL8 made the tapets a bit quieter in my car. I'm not sure about the VANOS or V8's though.

It's not the timing chain knocking is it? I presume the V8 uses chains not belts or pushrods :o .

My last VR6 was kind of rattly like that at idle - just the timing chain and nothing to worry about unless you tear the entire motor apart. I believe it is relatively common to be able to hear timing chains at idle once they get a few kms under the belt. Best get a second opinion though.

The product is Proma MBL8 and Segedins in Mt Eden stocks it (among, I'm sure, other places).

I've got no idea if it works though. But if you've got a Mitsubishi with noisy lifters it's the most awesome product ever made.